Ayurvedic Treatment of Mouth Ulcer
For a large portion of the population, mouth ulcer is not a big health concern as it gets treated on its own within 4-7 days. Though it can be a chronic and long-lasting condition in some. Mouth ulcers don’t harm or threaten health but can impact mood and quality of life.
At least once in a life, everyone suffers through the condition of mouth ulcer. The development of mouth ulcers may be the expression of the imbalanced Pitta dosha or several underlying health ailments such as inflammatory bowel disease, stomach ulcers, chronic deficiencies, or even cancer also.
In this article, you’ll get to know about mouth ulcers, their causes, and how to get rid of these mouth ulcers with ayurvedic treatment.
WHAT ARE MOUTH ULCERS?
A mouth ulcer is a breakout in the skin or mucosa present in the mouth. It can develop on the cheek, lips, gums, or roof, or floor of the mouth. The mouth ulcer comes with pain, redness, and discomfort especially while eating food items. Depending on the location and severity, there may be burning, bleeding, blisters, or difficulty in talking, swallowing, drinking, and eating.
In Ayurveda text, Mouth ulcers are named Mukhapaka. The word Mukha means mouth and Paka refers to maturation, suppuration, or ulceration. One can get rid of Mukhapaka easily by following the natural Ayurvedic tips.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF MOUTH ULCERS
According to Ayurveda, Mouth ulcers (Mukhapaka) usually occur due to aggravation in Pitta dosha. It is more common in people whose body is of Pitta type. Mainly the unhealthy digestive system, excess consumption of spicy and hot foods, summer season, and stress are the key factors to trigger Pitta dosha.
Usually, chronic mouth ulcers develop together with other Pitta imbalances in the gut such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), gastric or duodenal ulcers, infection, etc.
In accordance with Ayurveda, mouth ulcers are the indications of the body while suffering from vitiated Pitta dosha and also low immune power. Some other contributing factors include folate deficiency, vitamin B complex deficiency, anemias, coeliac disease, oral thrush, smoking, infection of gums, etc.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF MOUTH ULCERS
Ayurvedic treatment of mouth ulcers includes the correction of root causes of mouth ulcers. This treatment method involves the use of home remedies and several modifications in dietary and lifestyle habits:
HOME REMEDIES FOR TREATING MOUTH ULCERS
The most effective and proven home remedies for the treatment of mouth ulcers are:
- Use a paste of ghee and turmeric on the ulcers
- Do gargles with Triphala (Haritaki, Bibhitaki, and Amla) mixed in the water
- Drink herbal tea prepared with cumin, fennel, and coriander
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MOUTH ULCERS (AAHAR)
Consumption of food items that are beneficial in the treatment of mouth ulcers will pace up your recovery time. Getting Pitta-pacifying foods will balance the Pitta dosha and reduce its effect on health. Recommended dietary habits are:
- Avoid consuming sour food items such as pickles and curd
- Don’t consume hot, spicy foods, tobacco products, alcohol, tea, and coffee
- Take papaya twice daily
- Don’t skip meals, especially the breakfast
- Eat small meals more frequently instead of taking heavy meals
- Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cucumber, raisins, ghee, dates, almond in daily diet
LIFESTYLE CHANGES (VIHAR)
The way you live life will decide how will be your body health by balancing or imbalancing Tridoshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha). As we know, Pitta dosha is mainly involved in the development of mouth ulcers. It becomes essential to adopt lifestyle habits that will calm down the aggravated Pitta dosha. By following the given tips, you can keep your Pitta dosha balanced. Take a look.
- Pick up your umbrella while going outside in the sunrays
- Give a gentle rub with the ice cube at the site of the mouth ulcer to relieve pain
- Rinse your mouth with saltwater to avoid any infection in the ulcerated area
- Take rest if mouth ulcers are extremely painful
- Periodically, do gargles by using cold and hot water
- Consume a balanced and pitta-pacifying diet only (as mentioned above)
- Avoid taking excessive stress
- Do daily exercise for at least 45 minutes to remove toxins from the body
- Make your immune system strong to avoid mouth ulcers
Mouth ulcers are not life-threatening but may annoy you to a great extent as the patient feel discomfort and trouble in chewing, speaking, and swallowing food. Corrective measures should be taken at the right time to prevent the annoying effects of mouth ulcers on health and perform daily routine activities wisely. The above-given home remedies, lifestyle changes, and dietary habits will support you in getting rid of mouth ulcers in a paced manner. Just follow these steps and beat the mouth ulcers.