What is Erectile Dysfunction according to Ayurveda?
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) or male impotency is a common sexual disorder among men. It may be defined as the inability of men to get and maintain an erection during sexual intercourse. The disease is very common nowadays and about 150 million men under the age group of 40-50 years have Erectile Dysfunction issues throughout the world.
The Ayurveda describes Erectile Dysfunction as a male sexual disorder in which men struggle to get or maintain an erection during sexual intercourse. The disease is known as “Klaibya” in Ayurvedic texts and has become more sexual health problem among younger and old age people in recent years.
Types of Klaibya:
- Beejopaghaataja Klaibya: Caused by an abnormality in the sperms.
- Shukrakshayaja Klaibya: Caused by a diminution in semen.
- Dhwajopaghataja Klaibya: Caused by inflammatory diseases in the penis.
- Jarasambhavaj Klaibya: Caused by low testosterone levels.
The Ayurvedic texts say that excessive consumption of food items that are sour or heavy and contain a high amount of sugar and salt, cause Erectile Dysfunction. The imbalance in Vata dosha leads to negative emotions like fear, confusion, anger or, intoxication and ultimately results in loss of sex drive due to excessive palpitation and sweating during intercourse.
Millions of men throughout the world are affected by Erectile Dysfunction (ED). According to the Massachusetts Male Aging Study reports, about 52% of men between the age group of 40-70 years face erectile dysfunction at some point in life. Several reasons can trigger erectile dysfunction like physical and psychological issues. Consuming tobacco products, alcohol or certain medicines also causes erectile dysfunction and can adversely affect your sex life.
ED can happen:
- Mostly when there is less blood flow in the penis nerves or when nerves are harmed.
- With stress or emotional reasons.
- As an early warning of a more serious illness, like heart disease, high blood pressure, or high blood sugar from Diabetes.
Risk Factors for Erectile Dysfunction
Age – Older men are more likely to develop ED.Obesity – Obese people are significantly more likely to develop ED than those with a healthy weight.Tobacco use – Consuming tobacco products like cigarettes or cigars consistently, reduces blood flow and can cause difficulty during sexual activity. Medications– Antidepressants and hypertension medications, can also affect blood flow and cause erectile dysfunction Illicit drugs– Consuming drugs like marijuana may affect your sexual performance and cause erectile dysfunction also. Injuries and surgery – Abdominal Injuries or surgeries like prostate surgery or radiation therapy, increase your risk of developing erectile dysfunction and other sexual disorders.
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
The major signs and symptoms observed by the patients of erectile dysfunction are:
- Difficulty getting an erection
- Difficulty maintaining an erection
- Loss of interest in sexual activity
- Painful erection
- Low Self-esteem
How common is Erectile Dysfunction?
- According to the International Journal of Impotence Research, 2000, about 322 million men are estimated to face erectile dysfunction issues by 2025.
- About 30 million men are affected by erectile dysfunction in the United States. (Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, 2012).
- According to the Cleveland report of 2019, 1 in 10 men is estimated to have erectile dysfunction at any stage of his life.
- According to the Current Medical Research and Opinion report of 2004, the United States reports 22% of self-reported ED.
- Spain has the lowest rate of self-reported ED (10%). (Current Medical Research and Opinion, 2004).
Common Erectile Dysfunction complications
- ED patients face twice as many heart attacks and strokes (6.3%) in comparison to men who don’t have ED (2.6%). (American Heart Association, 2018).
- People with depression have an increased risk of 39% to develop ED. (The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 2018).
- ED increases the risk of depression by 192%. (The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 2018).
- ED patients are nearly three times more likely to experience depression than those without ED. (The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 2018).
- Sexual dysfunction is present for 20% to 25% of infertile couples. (Reproductive Partners Medical Group, 2020).
- 1 in 6 infertile men is affected by ED or premature ejaculation. (Nature Reviews Urology, 2018).
Erectile Dysfunction Causes
Physical Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
- Cardiovascular disease – Persistent erectile dysfunction is a common sign of vascular disease.
- High blood pressure – High blood pressure is an extremely common cause of erectile dysfunction and worsens your sexual performance.
- High cholesterol – High cholesterol levels can damage blood vessels, making it difficult to get and maintain an erection.
- Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes – Up to 75% of diabetic men also have erectile dysfunction and results in a reduced level of interest in sex.
- Kidney disease – Up to 80% of men with chronic kidney disease experience erectile dysfunction.
- Hormone imbalance – Imbalances in hormones produced by the thyroid, gonads, and pituitary gland can contribute to ED.
- Sleep disorders – Sleep disorders such as sleep apnea are closely linked with erectile dysfunction.
Psychological Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
- Stress – Many men experience erectile dysfunction during stressful periods in their lives.
- Mental health – Anxiety, depression, and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can all contribute to sexual issues such as erectile dysfunction.
- Relationship issues – Issues in a relationship may affect your attraction towards your partner. It can also cause erectile dysfunction and difficulty in sexual intercourse.
- Pornography – Some experts believe that frequent use of pornography also results in erectile dysfunction.
Erectile Dysfunction Diagnose
To diagnose erectile dysfunction, your healthcare provider will check your medical history and will ask about your persistent symptoms. The healthcare provider will examine your body to check your blood pressure, heart function, and prostate health to determine the root cause of the problem. The healthcare provider may also order blood tests and urine tests to look for the health issues that result in erectile dysfunction. Moreover, a complete nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) test will be also recommended by the healthcare provider to determine erectile dysfunction.
The erectile dysfunction treatment revolves around your heart and vascular health. Your healthcare provider will try to improve your risk factors by advising you to change certain food habits, stop consuming alcohol, drugs, and tobacco, and perform regular exercises. Addressing emotional problems like anxiety, stress, and depression may also help in controlling erectile dysfunction.
Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction
The Ayurveda says that the balance in Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas determines your overall health. The Ayurvedic texts say that imbalance in Vata dosha causes erectile dysfunction in men and recommends the change in diet to reduce Vata. A well-balanced diet yoga, meditation, and counseling can play an important role in controlling the problem of erectile dysfunction in men. Moreover, there are certain natural herbs in Ayurveda like Ashwagandha, Shatavari, Safed Musali, etc that are quite effective to control erectile dysfunction and its symptoms among men.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Erectile Dysfunction
- KNOCK OUT CAPSULES
Life Aveda’s Knock out capsules are prepared with pure quality extract of Ginseng (Panax ginseng), Maca (Lepidium meyenii), Yohimbe (Pausinystalia johimbe), Gokhru (Tribulus terrestris), etc herbs which can easily treat the erectile dysfunction due to medicinal properties present in them. Knock out capsules not only treat erectile dysfunction but also increase sexual stamina by enhancing the health of the overall reproductive system.
Dosage: 2 capsules daily with normal water after meals.
- SHILAJIT CAPSULES
Pure extract of Shilajit (Asphaltum) is formulated in the manufacturing process of Shilajit capsules in the manufacturing unit of Life Aveda. Shilajit is a well-known herb since ancient period because of various nutrients and minerals present inside it. Consumption of Shilajit capsules will boost your testosterone level, energy levels, treat premature ejaculation, inflammation and build a high confidence level.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with normal water after meals.
- COSMIC POWER
Cosmic power capsules prepared in the house of Life Aveda consists of high quality extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans), Kesar (Crocus sativus), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), and ten more herbs. Each capsule of cosmic power contains potency of 14 herbs which are very advantageous for the health of reproductive organs. These capsules will increase your stamina, strength and confidence level to a great extent. Treatment of erectile dysfunction is very effective with these capsules.
Dosage: 2 capsules two times daily with normal water after meals.
Erectile dysfunction is one of the diseases which people supposed to be ashamed of. Most of the patients of erectile dysfunction feel shame when describing their condition to the doctor or their closed ones. But don’t worry, above mentioned herbal remedies will help you in getting rid of this disease in a natural way. These remedies will give a permanent effect and enhance the sexual performance so that you can enjoy your sexual life in a healthy manner.