The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in an abrupt increase in mental health issues throughout the world amid frequent restrictions and lock downs. Though in many parts of the world, the restrictions are now being regularly eased but the mental health issues continue to be on the rise. Going through the latest trends and figures of mental health issues, it is more essential to maintain your mental health and take care of mental health issues.
What is Mental Health?
Mental health often refers to one`s emotional, psychological, and social wellbeing. According to the World Health Organization, Mental Health is a state of health that enables an individual to realize his/ her capabilities, deal with routine life stresses, work efficiently, and contribute to the community.
What are Mental Health Issues?
Mental health issues are those internal and external factors issues that affect an individual`s physical and emotional health like the way of thinking and coping ability and are often termed as mental health disorders.
There is a wide range of mental health disorders that can impact your physical and emotional wellbeing. According to one of the United Kingdom study reports of 2014, of every six people, one person in the U.K experienced a common mental health disorder every week. While The Anxiety and Depression Association of America reports that every year about 18.1% population in the United States experience anxiety disorders. Only your healthcare provider or mental health practitioner can diagnose your mental health issues. Following are some of the common examples of mental health disorders:
- Mood disorders, such as depression and bipolar disorder. Life Aveda offers you a Depression care pack that helps you to get over this problem. There are two herbal supplements in the combo, one is De-Stress, and other is Brahmi.
- Anxiety disorders, such as generalized anxiety disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorders
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorders
Mental Health Statistics Worldwide
- Anxiety affects 284 million people in the world.
- Depression affects 264 million people.
- Alcohol use disorder affects 107 million people.
- Drug use disorder affects 71 million people.
- Bipolar disorder affects 46 million people.
- Schizophrenia affects 20 million people.
- Eating disorders affect 16 million people.
There are certain other conditions associated with the above-mentioned categories. Your healthcare provider will classify the issues with the help of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) or the International Classification for Diseases (ICD).
Proper mental health care can have a great impact on your well being, relationships, resilience, and several other factors and a few of them are discussed below:
Several studies report that mental health and overall well being are interlinked to each other while many believe that both topics should not be addressed altogether. Below are some of the examples that denote the link between the mental and physical health of an individual.
- People with acute mental disorders are always at greater risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and some cancers.
- Those having depression are at high risk of developing cardiometabolic disorders which in turn increase the risk of depression.
- People suffering from gastrointestinal disorders are prone to adverse mental symptoms like anxiety and depression.
- Individuals suffering from depression usually experience gastrointestinal symptoms like diarrhea, constipation, and bloating.
Social connections play a significant role in an individual`s mental health. Many studies reveal that more social people generally live happier, healthier, and live for a longer periods than those who are less social. Mental health struggling people often face a lot of difficulties to maintain relationships and make things quite bitter for them.
Below are some of the important steps endorsed by several studies for maintaining mental health and ensuring better brain functioning.
1. Care for Personal Health:- Taking care of personal health may help in cognitive health. By doing so you can manage chronic health diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, etc. Mixing medicines with alcohol is dangerous so limiting consumption of alcohol can help in better brain functioning. Smoking lays an adverse effect on the human brain so for better function of the brain avoid or quit smoking and taking other nicotine products. Consulting a doctor about the medicines that you already take and getting advice about possible side effects on memory by the medicines can be fruitful.
2. Manage High Blood Pressure:- When you control or prevent high blood pressure, it not only helps your heart but your brain too. Observational studies have revealed that high blood pressure increases the risk of cognitive decline and may lead to dementia. Visit your doctor regularly and check your blood pressure even when you feel better as high blood pressure doesn`t have signs of illness that you can see or feel. Changes in your diet and doing some exercises can also be helpful in brain and heart protection.
3. Healthy Diet:- A healthy diet is instrumental in reducing the risk of several chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease and it keep your brain quite healthy. Generally, a healthy diet consists of fruits, vegetables, grains, lean meat, fish, etc, and low-fat dairy products. Drinking enough water and other fluids is essential in keepingyour body healthy.
4. Be Physically Active:- Regular exercises, household, and other activities have many brighter sides that help you in improving your strength, energy, balance, preventing or delaying heart diseases, diabetes, and other concerns. Studies have shown that exercise increases the size of brain structure which is important to memory and learning. If you aren’t active then check with your healthcare provider and start vigorous exercises to maintain your mental and physical standards.
5. Social connections and Social activities:- Participating in social activities and community programs not only helps you in building connections but makes you feel less isolated and more engaged in society. These may also help in lowering some risk problems of your health and improve your well-being also. Many studies show that engagement in meaningful and productive activities helps people in maintaining well-being and improve their mental health. Amid COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, such activities can be full of risk so you can go for any online activity like making a video call to your friends, family, joining any virtual class or event instead of an in-person activity.
6. Maintain a peaceful mind:- Always keep your mind healthy with the help of mindfulness and meditation as they calm you down and make you feel more positive.
7. Get quality sleep:- A good amount of sleep is quite essential to keep your mind and body healthy while less amount of sleep will always harm you. Having a 6-8 hour sleep each night will play an important role in maintaining your mental health. Try to avoid caffeine after noon and turn off all your electronic gadgets at least an hour before going to sleep.
8. Practice self-love:- Always be kind and respect yourself and take part in activities that you like. Keep this thing in mind that you are a valuable member.
9. Volunteerism:- Volunteering is another way to remain social. It enables you to interact with others and makes you feel good. Giving back to the community or society always makes you feel good and makes you a better person.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Mental Health Disorders
Below are some of Life Aveda`s naturally extracted products dully recommended by eminent doctors that can help you in maintaining mental health and dealing with mental health disorders:
Brahmi is a wonder herb that supports memory, intelligence, and concentration of mind. It promotes a healthy mind and nervous system which improves mental clarity and naturally reduces your stress, anxiety, and mood swings.
A unique blend of herbs that promotes resistance to stress and anxiety, helps to calm your emotional turbulence, and helps your mind to cope with stress and fatigue. Premium De-Stress acts as a brain tonic that promotes general wellbeing and balances stress hormones.
Ashwagandha is a root extract supplement for rejuvenation and is a natural herb to reduce mental, physical and emotional stress. It helps to deal with low energy, general exhaustion, and low immunity that causes infection, cold and flu.