Benefits of Guggal, Medicinal uses, and dosage
Guggal, gugul, guggul, etc, known by many synonyms or in the co local terms known as Indian Bdellium is a plant whose resin and the extract is used to treat problems caused due to slow metabolism in the body. The plant of guggul is a small one not growing to a height of more than 6m.
The plant has been named guggul due to the yellow-colored resin produced by the same. The leaves of this plant are small irregular shaped with a leathery greenish top side. What is unique about this plant and herb is its bark which is yellowish and whitish initially and later on peels away by itself in the form of thin light papery rolls.
Guggal is extremely important in Ayurveda for its healing properties. It mainly helps to better the metabolism and the digestive system in the body. It generates warmth in the body and regularizes the reproductive and circulatory systems. It establishes smoother coordination amongst all the systems in the body.
Being anti-inflammatory it relieves the pain due to arthritis. It helps to maintain a healthy liver, cardiovascular functioning and helps to heal various skin disorders and problems. It stabilizes the functioning of the hormones as well.
Guggal belongs to the family of Burseraceae plants and hence, is a mixture between a tree and a shrub. The scientific name of Guggul is Cammiphora wightii. The generic name of the same is from two words of Greek origin kommis and phora which means gum bearer. In Sanskrit, Guggal is also called Guggulu which translates into protector from diseases – due to its multi-faceted healing properties. The detailed classification is given as:
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Class: Spermatopsida
- Order: Spindales
- Family: Burseraceae
- Genus: Commiphora
- Species: Wightii
The shrub plant of Guggal, mainly grows in semi-arid rocky areas. So in India, it is found mainly in Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Mysore. It is also native to parts of Pakistan and Baluchistan. Although earlier it grew along the entire stretch of Gujarat and Rajasthan but now, it is seen to mainly grow along the regions of Kutchh ad Saurashtra.
Ayurvedic Properties of Guggal:
The Guggul plants have multiple uses because of all that it offers. Starting with the taste or rasa of Guggal is bitter and pungent that is tikhta and katu. It has a ushna viraya or a hot potency. It has laghu and rukshma guna. And, post digestion it is pungent, that is it has a katu viraya. Guggul is an amazing healing herb for ages, know to heal many kinds of problems.
The various derivative of guggul that is used a herb is – resins, the essential oils of guggul, the hormones released – guggulsterones, myrrhanol, etc. Its multi-specialty makes it an ideal herb for curing a whole lot of diseases and pains. It promotes a healthier flow of blood in the body. It regulates the proper functioning of the liver and the digestive system. It helps to remove ama that is built up in the body due to improper digestion.
Effects on Doshas:
Guggal balances all the three doshas – vata, pitta, and kapha. Hence, it detoxifies the vata and kapha . It strengthens the pitta. It acts as a lubricant, stimulant, aromatic astringent for all three doshas. It has a very positive effect on the function of the nervous system and the digestive system.
- Is very effective in treating problems caused due to indigestion or bad digestion like constipation, fatty liver, etc.
- Cure and heals rheumatoid arthritis and nervous and mental disorders like facial paralysis, etc.
- Promotes a healthier circulatory system with a good flow of blood in the body.
- Increases the production of hemoglobin, and leucocytes and thereby increases the quantity and quality of blood.
- The older the Guggal the more effective it is in curing diabetes.
- Induces weight loss naturally.
- Treats all complications and ailments related to the kapha and the vata doshas.
- Very effective in maintaining the level of thyroxine in the body and cures an imbalance in the same.
- Is very effective in treating skin infection and giving glowing skin.
- Increases the libido and treats a lot of gynecological diseases.
- Strengthens the heart and the muscles of the heart.
- Guggal is used to treat sexually transmitted diseases – like gonorrhea.
- Guggal accelerates the burning of fat and prevents the deposition of fat, which helps to maintain a healthy weight.
- Fresh Guggal helps to cure anorexia or extreme weight loss by strengthening the metabolism.
- Prevents aging as it fights the free radicals with its antioxidants.
As per the physician recommended dosage.
Those who are already suffering from extreme diarrhea, constipation, etc. should exercise caution before consuming Guggal. A consult with the physician is mandatory before starting with the consumption. Avoidance is recommended from sour foods and alcohol.
Note: Our purpose is to serve useful information related to Guggal’s benefits, dosage, and other properties. It is advised to the patients not to consume Guggal on the basis of this information. Before taking Guggal as a medicine it is better to have an expert opinion because dosage and treatment vary from patient to patient depending on their symptoms and medical history.
Doctor Consultation Online: Get Personalized Consultation
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggest the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE