Our lifestyle habits have a huge impact on our overall body health. The type of food we eat directly affects our health. Unhealthy foods lead to poor health while healthy foods improve health and provide longevity. Similarly, people need to adopt dietary and exercise habits that support joints and bones.
In this article, you’ll get to know the top ten foods that will help you in strengthening the joints and keeping them protected from various diseases. Take a look at these top foods for joints.
- Nuts and Seeds : Nuts and seeds are packed with large quantities of nutrients required for keeping the joints healthy. A small portion of flax seeds, almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, and pine nuts daily will be beneficial in reducing inflammation in the joints and connective tissues.
- Omega-3 Fatty acids/ Fish oils : Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the most essential nutrients needed for human health. Omega-3 fatty acids are also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids. These fatty acids are present in cold-water fish in large amounts. Consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids is proven to lower down the inflammatory proteins in the body as well in improving brain functioning and decreasing the risk of cardiovascular disorders, diabetes, and other health-related ailments. Rich sources of Omega-3 fatty acids include cold-water fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, halibut, and trout.
- Colorful fruits : Fruits are the powerhouse of antioxidants and several other nutrients. Similar to vegetables, some fruits are very effective in promoting the normal health of joints and minimizing the inflammation in them. Blueberries, pineapple, tomatoes (yes, they’re fruits), apples, are the most favorite fruits for reducing joint pain and relieving various conditions associated with joints such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Add these fruits to your daily diet for uplifting joint health.
- Brassica Vegetables : Brassica vegetables are also known as cruciferous vegetables. The word “brassicas” is commonly used with cabbage and mustard. Green leafy vegetables such as kale, arugula, mustard greens, and purple cabbage are included in the brassica family. Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli are also some popular vegetables for maintaining the good health of body joints. Consumption of these vegetables daily will help you in relieving swelling, inflammation, and pain in the joints.
- Olive oil : Toss out peanut oil, sunflower oil, and vegetable oil from your kitchen as they can result in increased inflammation of the joints. Instead of these oils, switch to olive oil for cooking purposes and preparing salad dressings. It would be much better if you choose the extra virgin variety which is less processed. Olive oil is good for overall well-being, especially for joint health.
- Garlic and Root Vegetables : Garlic, turmeric, ginger, and onions are packed with various anti-inflammatory compounds. Many researches have shown that these pungent root vegetables are very beneficial in treating symptoms of arthritis and other joint pain conditions. Add these vegetables into meals for added flavor and keeping the joints healthy.
- Lentils and Beans : We are familiar with the health benefits of lentils and beans. Protein is present in huge quantities in these foods. They also consist of a wide range of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds. Include soybeans, pinto beans, chickpeas, lentils, black beans, which are all rich sources of anthocyanins which are a magical compound for lowering down the inflammation in the overall body mainly in the joints.
- Whole grains : Several studies found that proteins present in refined grains (such as regular pasta, white rice, and white bread) can trigger inflammatory responses in the joints. However, a diet with high-fiber whole grains helps in the production of fatty acids that are very advantageous to counteract inflammation. That’s why stick to whole grains to improve joint health and relieve joint pain.
- Dark chocolate : Dark chocolate is not only good in taste, but it also possesses a wide range of anti-inflammatory properties. The main ingredient present in chocolate is Cocoa which is a rich source of antioxidants and plays a crucial role in excreting harmful toxins and free radicals from the body, counteracts genetic predisposition to inflammation and insulin resistance. The higher the percentage of cocoa in the chocolate, the higher will be the anti-inflammatory diet. Try to consume 1-2 cubes of dark chocolates daily and be aware of the chocolate’s high fat and sugar content.
- Bone Broth : Chondroitin, glucosamine, and amino acids are well deemed to help maintain fit joints, while calcium is mandatory for bone density. Bone broth consists of all these compounds. The gelatin-like substance that comes from cooking bones mimics collagen that occurs naturally in our joints, tendons, and ligaments. Whether or not bone broth can actually stimulate the regrowth of cartilage is a fiercely debated topic in the medical field. But taken regularly as an oral supplement, it has been known to reduce joint pain and increase function for people with arthritis.
THE BOTTOM LINE
So, there you have Foods for Joint Health, the above mentioned 10 foods are amazing and very effective in boosting joint health and provide protection from various ortho-related ailments. Consume above given food items to live a long disease-free life with healthy bones and joints.
CONSULT A DOCTOR
If you’re also suffering from ortho disorders or feel pain in the whole body, immediately consult an Ayurvedic doctor by dialing +917743002520 or visit www.avedaayur.com