Benefits of Amalaki, Overview, Medicinal Properties, Uses, and Dosage
Amla or Amalaki which is also known as Indian gooseberry is a widely used ingredient both in Ayurveda and Allopathic medicine. The word Amla means “sour” which is a Hindi word used for a fruit tree Emblica Officinalis or Phyllanthus Emblica) which is found in India, the Middle East, and some southeast Asian countries. The other Sanskrit nicknames of Amla mean mother, nurse, and immortality.
Key facts of Amalaki
- Amalaki is a medium-sized tree that grows yellow-green berries.
- It’s found in India but also grown in Pakistan, China, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, and Malaysia.
- Amalaki has a sour taste.
- Amalaki is rich in vitamin C and contains antioxidants.
The botanical name is Emblica Officinalis or Phyllanthus Emblica.
Other names of Amalaki
- Sanaskrit name Amalaki
- Hindi name Avala
- English Name Indian gooseberry
- Malayalam Name Nelli
- Kanada Name Nellikai
- Marathi Name Avale
Taste: Five Tastes (Sour, Astringent, Sweet, Bitter, and Pungent). It does not contain a Salty taste.
Parts Used: Fruits
Properties of Amalaki
- Mild laxative
Amalaki comprises phytoconstituents like ellagic acid, amlaic acid, phyllantine, phyllantidine, zeatin, zeatin nucleotide, zeatine riboside, benzenoid, chebulnic acid, etc.
Amalaki has high medicinal value and is considered one of the important herbs in Ayurveda. It can be effective to treat:
- Skin diseases-Kushta
- Anemia – Pandu
- Bleeding disorders- Raktapitta
- Jaundice- Kamala
- Arthritis -Vatarakta
According to the Charaka Samhita,’ Of all the Rasayanas, Amalaki is revered as one of the most potent and nourishing; Amalaki is the best among rejuvenating herbs.” In Ayurveda, Rasayanas are considered rejuvenating therapies that help in anti-aging and longevity. Many researchers advocate the use of Amalaki on daily basis for healthy living.
Amlaki which is known as the Rasayana herb improves and restores the process of conservation, transformation, and resurgence of the life force. In the flagship formula of Ayurveda, Amlaki is the chief ingredient in Chyvanprasha.
Benefits of Amalaki
Amalaki is considered the best anti-aging ingredient in Ayurveda because it has numerous benefits.
- The highest source of heat-stable Vitamin C
- Improves digestion, metabolism, elimination, and normal liver.
- Rich in polyphenols
- Skin and hair benefits
Ayurvedic Properties of Amalaki
- Rasa (taste): sour, sweet, pungent, bitter, astringent
- Veerya (action): Cooling
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect): Sweet
Health Benefits of Amalaki:
- Slowdowns the aging process
- Prevents common cold
- Boosts immunity and restores the body’s vitality.
- Helps to recover from chronic illness.
- Regulates blood glucose levels in diabetic patients.
- Helps in iron absorption and increases hemoglobin levels.
- Helps in gastrointestinal tract inflammation like gastritis.
- Helps in indigestion.
- Promotes spermatogenesis.
- Reduces serum cholesterol and reduces high blood pressure.
Medicinal Properties of Amalaki
Shota Hara- Anti inflammatory
- Rasayana – Rejuvenate
- Medhya- Promotes intelligence
- Kesya- Promotes hair growth
- Swasshara- Cures asthmatic conditions
- Varnya- Increases complexion
- Pramehahara – Cures diabetes
- Kushtaghna- Useful in skin diseases
- Krimingha- Useful in worm diseases
- Vishaghna- Useful in poisoning
- Kasahara- Cures cough
- Sula Hara- Relieves pain
- Chardinga- Cures vomiting
Traditional Benefits of Amalaki
- Vayasthapna- anti-aging herb
- Chakshushya- good for eyes and improves vision
- Sarvodoshangha- Balances Vata dosha
- Balances Vata due to its sour taste
- Balances Pitta due to its sweetness and coldness
- Balances Kapha due to dryness and astringent properties
- Raktapittaghna- helpful in bleeding disorders
- Pramehaghna- helpful in diabetes.
Dosage of amalaki
- Decoction ( Kawatham) 50-60 ml
- Powder (Churna) 2-4g
- Aqueous extract (Swarasa)- 5-10 ml
Amalaki is quite an essential herb and its fruit is widely used in Ayurveda to cure the common cold and fever, etc. Moreover, it has various therapeutic uses as well.
Note: Our purpose is to serve useful information related to Amalaki ‘s benefits, dosage, and other properties. It is advised to the patients not to consume Amalaki on the basis of this information. Before taking Amalaki as a medicine it is better to have an expert opinion because dosage and treatment vary from patient to patient depending on their symptoms and medical history.
Doctor Consultation Online: Get Personalized Consultation
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggest the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors..
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE