Benefits of Neem, Overview, Medicinal Properties, Uses, and Dosage
Neem whose botanical name is (Azadirachta indica) is a very beneficial plant for many years. Back to at least 4,500 years, the neem dates were used and the Neem tree was considered a renowned tree in India and nearby countries. Neem tree has got the name of Village Dispensary in many countries of the world as every part of the tree possesses one or other health values.
Botanical name: Azadirachta indica
The scientific Latinized name is a combination of Persian words in which ‘Azad’ means “free”, Dirakht means “tree” and “Indica” stands for “Indian origin”. Thus the scientific name signifies the Neem tree as a free tree native to India.
Because it contains chemicals, the neem helps to reduce blood sugar levels, heal ulcers in the digestive tract, prevent the formation of plaque in the mouth.
- Neem leaves, neem foliage
- Neem seed cake, neem seed oil cake, neem seed kernel cake
Azadirachta indica A. Juss. [Meliaceae]
Antelaea azadirachta (L.) Adelb., Melia azadirachta L.
- Plant products and by-products
- Other forage plants
- Oil plants and by-products
Common Names of Neem
- Azadirachta indica,
- Neem Tree,
- Indian Lilac,
- Margosa Tree in English,
- Arishta, Pavakrita and Nimbaka in Sanskrit,
- Neem in Hindi,
- Nim and Nimgacha in Bengali,
- Bevu in Kannada,
- Aryaveppu, Aaruveppu in Malayalam,
- Veppai, Sengumaru in Tamil,
- Vepa in Telugu,
- Kandunimba in Marathi,
- Dhanujhada, Nimbda in Gujarati.
- Neem in Urdu
Other common names of Neem
Picumandah, Picumardah, Aristah, Prabhadrah, Nim, Nimgaachh, Leemado, Turakbevu, Huchchabevu, Chikkabevu, Kadunimba, Nimb, Neemo, Vempu, Veppu, Vemu, Vepa etc.
- Chinaberry (Melia azedarach)
Benefits of Neem and Uses
- Skin and Blood. Neem promotes healthy skin and provides a clear complexion. It is bitter in taste and cools down the body, reducing excess heat that can be apparent as skin blemishes.
- Immune System. It detoxifies the body and supports the healthy immune system while cleaning the ama ( natural toxins) from the body.
- Blood Sugar. It helps to regulate normal blood sugar levels and promotes healthy blood circulation.
- GI Tract. . Neem helps in the healthy digestive environment as it reduces the heat and removes the toxins in the GI tract.
- Lungs. Neem helps in clear breathing and promotes a healthy respiratory system.
- Hair. Neem provides a cooling effect to the scalp and promotes smooth hair growth.
- Teeth and Gums. Neem is meant to be effective in maintaining healthy teeth, gums, and overall oral hygiene.
Ayurvedic Benefits of Neem
- Neem Balances Pitta.
- Neem Balances Kapha.
- Neem Can Aggravate Vata.
Classification of Neem
What Are The Chemical Constituents Of Neem?
The Neem tree contains many bioactive components which include azadirachtin, nimbolinin, nimbin, nimbidin, nimbidol, nimbanene, nimbandiol, nimbolide, sodium nimbinate, gedunin, salannin, quercetin, 6-desacetylnimbinene, ascorbic acid, n-hexacosanol and amino acid, 7-desacetyl-7-benzoylazadiradione, 7-desacetyl-7-benzoylgedunin, 17-hydroxyazadiradione, ß-sitosterol, and polyphenolic flavonoids.
Therapeutic Benefits of Neem:
- Aids in Digestion
- Promotes Oral Health
- Boosts Immunity
- Treats Wounds and Ulcers
- Purifies Blood
- Remedies Pain and Inflammation
- Neem Leaves: 4-5 leaves once a day.
- Neem Churna:3-6 gm twice a day.
- Neem Capsule/ Tablet: 1-2 tablets or capsules twice a day.
- Neem Juice: 15-30ml twice a day.
- Neem Syrup: 2-4 tsp twice a day after meals.
Neem has a special significance in Ayurveda as it has a wide range of health benefits. It helps improve digestion, regulate diabetes, treat ulcers, deal with oral problems, improve skin glow, etc
Note: Our purpose is to serve useful information related to Neem’s benefits, dosage, and other properties. It is advised to the patients not to consume neem on the basis of this information. Before taking neem as a medicine it is better to have an expert opinion because dosage and treatment vary from patient to patient depending on their symptoms and medical history.
Doctor Consultation Online: Get Personalized Consultation
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggest the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors..
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE