Ayurvedic Treatment for Acidity
Acidity or acid reflux is a common problem that affects many people, felt around the lowest chest area, and hampers routine work. Around 150 million people around the globe have different digestive disorders that lead to acidity and an increase in acid formation in the body gives birth to certain other diseases.
Acidity in Ayurveda
In Ayurvedic texts, acidity is known as ‘Urdhvang Amalpitta” meaning regurgitation of acids secreted in the stomach back into the food canal pipe up to the throat. Acidity is a common problem that leads to extreme burning and painful sensations known as acid reflux and gas formation in the stomach.
Consuming excessive spicy food, junk food, processed food, a sedentary lifestyle, jobs where you have to sit for long hours are the main reasons that cause acidity. Acidity that lasts for more than two weeks is known as Gastro-esophageal reflux disease. Taking antacids for a longer period may have adverse effects on your body.
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Acidity?
- Burning sensation in the chest region
- Bad breath
- Sore throat
- Pain in abdomen
- Dry cough
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Mouth ulcers
- Itching on the body
- General weakness
What are the Causes of Acidity?
Different causes that can form the acidity in an individual are mentioned below:
- Eating food items that are not healthy like (fried food, cheese, butter, processed food, pickle, spicy food, papad, maggie, & pasta, etc).
- Obesity is the main reason for acidity.
- Drinking beverages like coffee, alcohol, carbonated drink, tea, etc.
- Excessive intake of food items like tomato, onions, garlic, citrus fruits, chocolate, red chilies, green chilies, etc.
- Drinking alcohol
- Being pregnant
- Excessive intake of blood pressure medications, aspirin, ibuprofen, muscle relaxant, etc.
- Not performing any activities like playing games, sports, exercise, yoga, etc.
- Excessive consumption of non-vegetarian food.
To break down the food that you eat, the digestive system produces acid, and sometimes the acid quantity produced by the digestive system increases due to stress, improper diet, and or for some other reasons. When the digestive system works poorly, the acidity issue rises which is described as Hyperacidity or Amla Pitta in Ayurveda. The issue usually occurs because of the extra level of Pitta in the small intestines which results in a sour taste in the mouth or throat, heartburn, blenching, and sometimes nausea or vomiting also. All this takes place by consuming improper diet like too much spicy food, sour food, greasy food, alcohol, etc.
Persons with certain conditions are at high risk of acidity:
- Disorder in tissues such as scleroderma
- Weight issue
People having an unhealthy lifestyle are prone to have an acidity attack. Consumption of beverages like tea, coffee, snacks, heavy meal close to bedtime, and chain-smoking increase the risk of developing acidity.
The undigested food that just stays in the stomach is one of the main causes of hyperacidity and gives a lot of discomfort to a person. The acidity problem is very common in Vata and Pitta bodies and any person having a weak digestive system could face the issue.
Prolonged acidity may cause several complications and may damage your vital organs too. Therefore it is mandatory to reach out to your healthcare provider if you develop any symptom of acidity. To determine the acidity, your healthcare provider may recommend the following tests.
- Upper endoscopy
- X-ray of your upper digestive system
- Oesophageal manometry
- Ambulatory acid (pH) probe test
Ayurvedic Treatment for Acidity
The doctors usually prescribe modern medicines for the acidity disease. The modern science medication may provide you relief for a time being without addressing the root cause of the problem but in the longer run the medications may have some side effects on you.
In Ayurveda, the balance in the doshas or principle energies in the body define the health concept. The Pitta dosha regulates the body’s metabolism and any imbalance in Pitta dosha causes acidity which is known as Amla Pitta in Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, Stress, improper, diet, sleep disorders, physical inactivity, and consumption of excessive fatty and oily foods are the factors that cause an imbalance in Pitta. Moreover, the Agni or digestive fire is one of the key features of Ayurveda that ensures proper digestion and when Agni weakens, it results in acid production. Moreover, Vata dosha also plays an important role in digestive problems. Increase in Vata or air results in bloating, gas and acidity.
To cure acidity, natural herbs and supplements can play an important role. Ayurveda is highly recommended than other medicines as it addresses the root cause rather than other antacids and medicines which provide temporary relief only.
Home Remedies for Acidity
Acidity is very common these days and the majority of people prefer home remedies over medications to deal with the problem of acidity. Below are some of the home remedies that are quite helpful to deal with the problem of acidity.
- Coconut Water
- Waterlemon Juice
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Lukewarm water after every meal
- Butter Milk after spicy meals
Life Aveda has come with some of the natural and herbal products that help reduce acidity. The products not only control the acidity problem but address the root cause of acidity without any side effects. Below are some of Life Aveda`s products that can be helpful for you while dealing with the problem of acidity.
- Acid-O Flux Capsule – Acid-O Flux capsules contain a validated blend of researched herbs that helps in all indigestion issues like acidity, gas, heartburn, stomach discomfort, constipation or diarrhea, and decreased appetite.
- Acidity Relief Pack – Acidity Relief Pack is a combination of three herbal remedies to relieve the symptoms of excessive acid secretion and gastritis in the stomach. Life Aveda brings standardized herbal extracts, Ayurvedic medicine for acidity and gas. This pack will give you relief from indigestion, constipation, bloating, and balance the Tridoshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha).
- Acid-O Flux Syrup – Life Aveda’s ACID-O-REFLUX syrup provides effective relief from digestive problems. All the herbal extracts present in Acid-o Flux syrup are of the standardized and pure quality form. Thus, they work synergistically and naturally to treat numerous digestive problems as well as enhance the health of the organs involved in digestion.
Q.1. What is the Ayurvedic remedy for acidity?
Ans: The natural remedy for acidity are consuming Coriander water, avoiding raw foods, raw vegetables, and sugary foods,
Q.2. What is the best Ayurvedic medicine for acidity?
Ans: The best Ayurvedic medicine for acidity are Pitta Shamak, Acio-O Flux tablets,etc
Q.3 What is the natural cure for acidity permanently?
Ans: Having Proper diet, avoiding oily, sugary foods, tea and coffee are the ways to cure acidity naturally.
Q.4. What is the fastest way to cure acidity?
Ans: Drinking enough water, reducing stress, avoiding fatty, sugary and raw foods and following a healthy life style is the fastest way to cure acidity.
Suffering from Acidity can irritate and interfere with daily routine activities because of unpleasant feelings. Treatment of acidity is necessary to be taken for getting rid of annoying conditions and preventing the occurrence of other complicated disorders. You can easily get rid of Acidity by using the above mentioned ACIDITY RELIEF PACK of Life Aveda. This pack will help you in a natural way without giving any side effects. Any person of any age can consume these herbal remedies to treat Acidity. Dosage may vary.