Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis or ABPA is an inflammatory disorder associated with the lungs. The immune system of the people who are allergic to the Aspergillus fumigatus (a type of fungus) overreacts to the Aspergillus and causes inflammation in the lungs. ABPA causes bronchospasm (narrowing of the airway muscles) and build-up of mucus.
Aspergillus fumigatus is a fungus, found in several places like dust, water, and soil. ABPA occurs when an individual breathes in the fungus. Patients suffering from Asthma and Cystic fibrosis are also affected with ABPA more frequently. The presence of thick mucus in the airways of these patients causes trouble in clearing up the Aspergillus spores when inhaled. These spores are attacked by the immune system and result in inflammation.
Symptoms of ABPA
Signs and symptoms observed in the patients of ABPA include:
- Frequent coughing
- Hemoptysis (coming up blood during coughing)
- Shortness of breath, especially during physical activity
- Chest in pain
- Feeling of tightness in chest
- Fever that goes away then comes back
Causes of ABPA
The main cause behind the occurrence of ABPA is the allergic reaction after being exposed to a type of fungus called Aspergillus. In rare conditions, poorly controlled Asthma may also result in ABPA.
Diagnosis of ABPA
Basically there is no any specific test for the diagnosis of ABPA but the doctor will do some classic clinical manifestations, immunological findings and radiographic findings to diagnose a patient with ABPA:
Aspergillus skin test:
- Aspergillus skin test (AST) is the investigation most commonly used for diagnosing sensitization to A.fumigatus
- It reveals immediate cutaneous hypersensitivity to A.fumigatus
- A positive Type I hypersensitivity reaction is typical of ABPA and represents the presence of A.fumigatus-specific IgE antibodies.
- Intradermal skin tests are more sensitive than the skin prick test for the diagnosis of Aspergillus sensitization.
- Elevated total serum IgE (usually over 1000 IU/mL)
- Elevated specific serum IgE to A. fumigatus (Af)
- Presence of serum precipitins (by gel diffusion) or raised specific serum IgG to A. fumigatus
- Peripheral blood eosinophilia (often absent, especially if the patient is on oral or inhaled corticosteroids)
Radiological manifestations of ABPA:
- Chest X-ray has 50% sensitivity for the diagnosis of ABPA. It can show parenchymal infiltrate and bronchiectasis changes mostly in the upper lobes; however, all lobes may exhibit involvement.
- HRCT Chest is the investigation of choice to detect bronchiectasis distribution and other abnormalities that are undetectable on a chest X-ray, such as centrilobular nodules and tree-in-bud appearance.
- Patients of ABPA with no abnormalities on the HRCT chest are labeled as serologic ABPA (ABPA-S).
- Patients with central bronchiectasis on HRCT are labeled as ABPA Central Bronchiectasis (ABPA-CB).
Pulmonary function tests:
- Aids in measuring lung function impairment severity and monitoring improvement of lung function on follow up.
- Obstructive ventilatory defect: Stages I, III, IV, and often, V and may not correlate with the duration of ABPA or asthma.
- Patients with Stage V disease typically also have a restrictive ventilatory defect and a reduced DLCO.
Treatment of ABPA
In modern science, there is no effective treatment method for ABPA. Doctors prescribe some oral corticosteroids and anti-fungal medications which are high in their side effects and may harm your body. These medications may develop some more troublesome conditions along with ABPA and trap you.
But there is no need to be anxious , you can treat ABPA with the 7000 years old medicinal system “AYURVEDA”. The Ayurveda system of medicines works in a natural manner to make the whole body healthy. To help the patients of ABPA to get rid of it in a natural way, LIFE AVEDA offers an effective ABPA REVERSAL PACK with the combination of some wonderful herbal remedies. All these herbal medicines are prepared by following the basic principles of Ayurveda and using the standardized extract of herbs.
ABPA REVERSAL PACK
- SECURE LUNGS
- CURCUMIN- 95
- TULSI DROPS
- SECURE LUNGS
Secure lungs capsules are formulated with best quality extract of Vasaka (Justicia adhatoda), Haldi (Curcuma longa), Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Kakarsingi (Pistacia integerrima), Lungwort (Pulmonaria officinalis). All these herbs are very beneficial in providing strength to the lungs and promote their healthy functioning.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
- CURCUMIN- 95
Curcumin (Curcuma longa) is a well-known herb described in the ancient Ayurvedic literature due to its multiple health beneficial properties. Curcumin is present in almost every Indian kitchen and used as a spice. Curcumin-95 capsules of Life Aveda are packed with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and various other medicinal properties. ABPA as well as various other body disorders can be easily relieved by consuming these capsules.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
We are already familiar with the overall health benefits of Chyawanprash. The Chyawanprash prepared in the house of Life consists of pure herbal extracts of Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Gokhru (Tribulus terrestris), Jivanti (Inula Racemosa), Kachoor (Curcuma zedoaria) and other 39 herbs. One spoon of Chyawanprash contains the potency of 43 herbs that will enhance your overall health. Consumption of Life Aveda’s Chyawanprash will boost your immune health and regulate healthy functioning of body organs including the lungs, brain, heart, etc.
Dosage: 2 teaspoons twice a day with or without water or as per directed by the physician.
- TULSI DROPS
High quality extract of Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum) is used by Life Aveda to prepare Tulsi Drops. These drops will increase your immune power, purify the blood, and strengthen the lungs. Consumption of Tulsi drops is very helpful to treat the ABPA disease in a natural manner.
Dosage: 4-5 drops twice a day with plain water after meals.
The ABPA disease is a severe health disorder and its treatment is necessary to be taken at the correct time. Above mentioned herbal remedies will help you in getting rid of ABPA in a natural way without showing any side-effects. Any person of any age can consume these herbal remedies as they are prepared from natural herbs which don’t possess any adverse effects. Dosage may vary.