Benefits of Bhringraj, Medicinal Uses, Dosage and side effect
Bhringraj is the most famous herb because of its use in hair growth, luster, and shine in the ayurvedic pharmacopeia of India. This herb also powerful effect on the hair & skin by improving glow and complexion and preventing several skin disorders.
It also shows good results in the case of bile production from the liver and its associated symptoms. It has a cooling and rejuvenating effect on the mind as well as the nervous system. In classical texts, bhringraj is considered as ‘Rasayana’ for longevity. As per Ayurveda, it balances all three doshas and maintains a healthy life.
Botanical name- Eclipta alba
Meaning of shloka-
This shloka means that synonyms of Bhringraj are bhringraj, bhringrj, markav, bhring, Angaraka, keshraj, bhringar, and keshranjan. Bhringraj is off pungent taste, piercing, dry, hot, balances Kapha and Vata dosha, good for hair, skin, teeth, rejuvenating, provide strength, and treats worm infestation, asthma, cough, inflammation, indigestion, anemia, skin, eye, and brain disorders.
(Reference- Bhavaprakash nighantu- guduchyadi varga, pg. no 414 and shloka no. 239-241)
Bhringraj Names in different languages
- Vernacular names
- English name- False Daisy
- Hindi name- Bhangaraiya, Bhangra
- Punjabi Name– Bhangra
- Gujarati Name– Bhangaro
- Marathi Name– Maka
- Bengali Name– Kesuriya
- Kannada name- Garga, Garagada Soppu
- Tamil Name– Kayanthakarra, Kaikeshi
- Telugu Name- Galgara, Guntagal Agaraku
- Malayalam Name- Tekaraja, Jala Bhangara
- Arabic Name – Kadimulambit
Synonyms in the Sanskrit language
- Bhringaraja- It makes the hair silky and shiny that resembles a peacock.
- Markava, Kesharanjana- It relieves grey hairs
- Ravipriya, Bharnagaraha, Angaraka, Mahaneela, Pitrupriya, Bringa, Suryavarta
The herb is an erect, annual creeping herb that grows up to the height of 3 meters. This branch herb often roots at nodes and has white-colored flowers. These flowers have long stalk which is on the flat, short, and rounded stem. Its leaves are sessile, opposite, and lance-shaped. The roots are greyish in color and cylindrical in shape. It has floral heads that are white, narrowly winged, and solitary with 6 to 8 mm diameter.
Bhringraj is cultivated in India, Brazil, China, and Southwest America in paddy growing fields.
Categorization according to classical books
- Aacharya charaka- Raktapitaa and keshya
- Acharya sushruta- Shothhara
- Acharya vagbhatta- Rasayana
- Bhavaprakasha nighantu- Guduchyadi varga
Major chemical constituents
Wedelolactone, Ecliptic, stigmasterol; Heptacosanol, Des-methyl wedelolactone, Hentriacontanol, polyacetylene, thiophenes, etc.
Medicinal qualities of Bhringraj
- Rasa (taste) – Tikta (bitter) and Katu (pungent)
- Guna (qualities) – Laghu (light to digest) and Rooksha (dryness)
- Veerya (Potency) – Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka (Undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion)- Katu (Pungent)
- Effect on tridosha- balances vata and kapha dosha
Bhringaraja benefits according to Ayurveda
- Tvachya- Improves skin quality and treats skin disorders
- Dantya- improves teeth strength
- Rasayana- works as anti-aging
- Akshirogahrut- helps to relieve eye diseases
- Keshya – improves the quality of hair. Hence it is one of the prime herbs used in many hair oils, like Bhringamalakadi Tailam
- Shwasahara- helps to treat COPD, asthma, and other respiratory diseases
- Kasahara- treats cough and cold
- Krumihara- useful in worm infestation in the intestine
- Shophahara- works as a great anti-inflammatory herb and also relieves pain, swelling as well as redness
- Kushtahara- useful in skin diseases
- Shiroartinut- relieves headache
- Pandunut- Treats anemia and early stages of liver diseases
- Amanut- relieves indigestion and eliminates Ama
- Chakshushya- helps to improve eyesight
- Kesharanjana- used in grey hairs
- Vishaghna- works as an anti-poisonous and anti-toxic
Bhringraj Health benefits
Bhringraj helps to reduce hair fall because of the presence of chemical constituents in it that processes hormones and fats and improves hormonal level in the body. Its local application helps to prevent hair fall by strengthening hair roots naturally. According to Ayurveda, it helps to balance Vata dosha which causes dryness in the scalp and is the main reason for hair loss.
Being a natural hepatoprotective, bhringraj is considered an excellent herb to treat liver disorders like jaundice. As the main work of the liver is to improve body metabolism and this herb because of the deepan and pachan properties helps to improve metabolism. As per Ayurveda it balances pitta Dosha and promotes the bile flow.
The antimicrobial activity of bhringraj helps to kill microbes in the intestine that causes diarrhea, indigestion, etc. This effective herb also works as an antioxidant by removing toxins from the body and improving the digestion process. Hence, controls diarrhea.
Bhringraj comprises an active ingredient that increases the production of white blood cells in the body. These white blood cells increase immunity and protect the body against infection and keep you healthy.
Bhringraj treats various respiratory ailments like bronchitis, asthma, etc. This herb dilates the respiratory passages and eases breathing. Being an anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory, it also surprises allergic responses in patients suffering from asthma and prevents inflammation.
Part used- Whole plant
Dosage of bhringraj-
5 to 10 ml (fruit juice)
250 mg to 2 grand (Powder)
Side effects of bhringraj
There are no side effects seen up to now after using this herb as medicine in a regular dose. But pregnant ladies should consult the doctor before taking this herb. It can also be used in lactating mothers and small children to treat various disorders.
From this article, it is concluded that bhringraj keeps the hair and skin healthy. It also shows good results in asthma, anaemia, inflammation, warm infestation, eyes, and skin disorders. There are no known side effects seen after using bhringraj but pregnant ladies should consult their doctor before taking it. It is also used in lactating mothers and small children to treat various disorders.
Some FAQs related to Bhringraj
What are the uses of bhringraj?
It help to treat worm infestation, jaundice, anemia, indigestion, etc. It also helps to keep the hair and skin healthy.
What are the benefits of bhringraj?
It shows effective results in hair-related issues like hair baldness, white hairs, dryness, etc. It improves the skin complexion.
Can bhringraj cure baldness?
Yes, it can cure baldness because of the main active ingredients present in it that show good results in case of hair ailments.
Can bhringraj stop hair fall?
Yes, it can stop hair fall.
Who should avoid bhringraj?
Pregnant ladies and children should avoid it.
Note: Our purpose is to serve useful information related to bhringraj ‘s benefits, dosage, and other properties. It is advised to the patients not to consume it on the basis of this information. Before taking this as a medicine it is better to have an expert opinion because dosage and treatment vary from patient to patient depending on their symptoms and medical history.
Doctor Consultation Online: Get Personalized Consultation
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggests the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE