Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) Medicinal Uses, Benefits Dosage, and Side Effects
Jatamansi is a herbaceous plant of about 10-60 cm in height a long stout. It is perennial and has rhizomes root – thick roots with thicker root hairs. It has long leaves – spatulated or sessile. Jatamansi flowers are bell-shaped and pink in color.
It is this thick root hair that makes it have the name Jatamansi, since, Jata in Sanskrit means the accumulation of too many hairs or dreadlocks rather and Manasi means human. According to the Hindu scriptures, it is a very beneficial herb filled with medicinal values. The dried rhizomes and roots are the main medicinal parts used in the preparation. The underground stems are crushed and for the extraction of yellow-colored oil which is used in medicines to fight insomnia, facilitate childbirth, and de-stress the mind and body.
It is a therapeutic medicine for the body. It is a natural nervine tonic and helps to sharpen the memory. It calms down nerves and anxiety, stress, and heals depression. Hence, it helps to induce healthy sleep and prevents insomnia. It cures mental disorders like schizophrenia, epilepsy without any additional insomnia.
It can be consumed in different forms like oil, powder, etc.
Jatamansi is usually found in colder and higher altitudes of around 11000 – 15000 ft; like the Himalayas, China, Nepal and in the belt extending from Kumaon to Sikkim at an altitude of 17000 feet, over to Bhutan.
Jatamansi is also called Spikenard. The scientific name is Nardostachys jatamansi. Its detailed classification is:
- Kingdom – Plantae
- Division – Tracheophyta
- Class – Magnoliopsida
- Order – Dispsacles
- Family – Valerianaceae
- Genus – Nardostachys
- Species – Jatamansi
Jatamnsi is such an essential hebs in Ayurveda. Its chemical composition is what makes it so unique. It contains the chemicals like nardosinone, nardosinonediol, nardal, jatamansic acid, chlorogenic acid, ferulic acid, syringic acid, and protocatechuic acid, to name a few. It is this huge number of chemicals that make it so effective as a medicinal herb.
The Jatamansi herb is an excellent Ayurvedic plant for ages, with a bitter, astringent and sweet. So it has a tikta, madhura and kashaya rasa. It has a light, oily and unctuous property. It has a laghu guna. It has a cold potency or a Sheeta Virya. It has a Vipaka Katu that is; it has a pungent metabolic property.
Effects on Doshas
Jatamansi balances all three doshas. Hence it is called tridoshashamak. It pacifies the Pitta and Kapha dosha. I.e. balances all the three doshas (Vata, pitta, and Kapha).
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES AND USES OF NARDOSTACHYS JATAMANSI
- The Jatamansi oil helps in the healthy growth of hair and keeps it smooth and silky.
- It prevents premature greying of hairs.
- It lowers high blood pressure.
- It has a hypotensive effect.
- It helps in the smooth functioning of the heart.
Memory and learning:
- Jatamansi has a very positive effect on the brain
- It helps to fight mental stress and disorders
- It enhances the thinking ability of the brain
- It sharpens the memory and increases the retentive power of the brain.
Strengthening the nervous system:
- Being a nervine tonic, it calms the nervous disorders.
- It rejuvenates the vitality, vigor, and strength of the body.
- It helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
- It releases biochemical substances which curb depression.
- It acts as a sedative for the brain.
- It helps to clear the complexion and give us a glowing and shining skin.
- It smoothens the texture of the skin.
It helps to treat liver infections and disorders like hepatitis, jaundice and also prevents enlargement of the liver.
Jatamansi oil possesses anti-fungal properties and prevents the skin from getting any kind of skin infections.
- Boosts immunity and helps to prevent various infections.
- It acts as a pain reliever and cures abdominal pain due to gas or other stomach problems.
- It helps to treat excessive bleeding in the menstrual cycle or menopause.
For adults, Jatamansi Powder: 1-3 g/day.
- Jatamansi has to be taken under the supervision of a doctor or physician.
- It should not be consumed by hypotensive patients.
- Consuming Jatamansi in excess will lead to vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, UTI, etc.
Note: Our purpose is to serve useful information related to Jatamansi ‘s benefits, dosage, and other properties. It is advised to the patients not to consume Jatamansi on the basis of this information. Before taking Jatamansi as a medicine it is better to have an expert opinion because dosage and treatment vary from patient to patient depending on their symptoms and medical history.
Doctor Consultation Online: Get Personalized Consultation
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggest the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE