Fact: There is no known treatment for ulcerative colitis disease in modern medicine, the symptoms can be considerably reduced by maintaining proper diet plan for ulcerative colitis and taking the right drugs and Ayurvedic treatment.
Ulcerative Colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease that causes stomach and intestinal irritations, ulcers, and severe inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. The inner lining of the large intestine, often known as the colon and rectum, is frequently affected. Symptoms do not normally appear overnight; rather the condition progresses over time.
The patient suffering from Ulcerative colitis feels symptoms like diarrhea mixed with blood, loss of appetite, pain in the abdominal area, lack of sleep, loose, frequent and foul-smelling stool stained with blood and mucus, weight loss, acidity, reduced digestion, great loss of blood and severe headache.
There are various forms of ulcerative colitis based on where the symptoms appear, such as:
- Ulcerative proctitis: Inflammation occurs only around the rectum.
- Left-sided colitis: Inflammation generally spread across the sigmoid and descending colon, bloody diarrhea is a common symptom of this type.
- Pancolitis: The inflammation affects the entire colon, and strong stomach cramps are a common symptom.
- Proctosigmoiditis: Inflammation in the rectum and sigmoid colon area.
Ayurveda classifies ulcerative colitis as ‘Pittaja grahani,’ which develops when the Pitta dosha gets imbalanced, vitiates the intestines, and causes Pittaja Grahani. Pitta vitiation, when severe, produces severe irritation, ulceration, and rectal bleeding (active phase or flare-up)
Ayurvedic Overview on Ulcerative Colitis
According to Ayurveda, an artificial and unhealthy diet is the root cause of Ulcerative colitis. Agnimandh (lack of appetite and digestion), Visham-ashan (irregular and incompatible dietary habits), eating before digestion(Ama), junk food, Pitta aggravating diets such as excessive spicy, acidic, sour foods, food items that cause a burning sensation in the body, exposure to the sun, summer weather, alcohol, smoking, and excessive anger are all causes of Pittaja Grahani disease. One of the reasons for this disease is the failure to follow a healthy diet (Pathya) in certain digestive problems, including post-diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome. With food and lifestyle changes, the Ayurveda treatment usually yields excellent results.
Vegetarian diet plan for Ulcerative colitis patients:
If the patient with Ulcerative colitis follows the diet as recommended in this segment, remarkable improvement may be seen in a paced and natural way. Here Day-wise diet chart is provided to ulcerative colitis patients is provided:
Monday Diet plan for Ulcerative colitis Patients
- Breakfast (7a.m-8a.m)- veg poha + 1 glass lassi
- Mid-morning (11a.m)- 1 glass pomegranate juice
- Lunch (1pm-2pm)- 2 wheat chappati+ 1 bowl bottle gourd sabji + 1 bowl cucumber salad
- Evening snack (4-5pm)- 1 glass wheatgrass juice
- Dinner (7-8pm)- 1 bowl boiled rice + 1 bowl moong dal +palak
Tuesday Diet plan for Ulcerative colitis Patients
- Breakfast (7a.m-8a.m)- 1 wheat roti stuffed with methi sabji + 1 cup buttermilk
- Mid-morning (11a.m)- 1 glass coconut water
- Lunch (1pm-2pm)- 2 whole wheat roti + soya bean sabji+ half glass lassi
- Evening snack (4-5pm)- 1 bowl roasted makhana
- Dinner(7-8pm)- 1 bowl boiled rice + 1 bowl mix dal
Wednesday Diet Plan for Ulcerative Colitis Patients
- Breakfast (7a.m-8a.m)- 1 bowl Vegetable upma + 1 glass butter milk
- Mid-morning (11a.m)- 1 cup chana sattu
- Lunch (1pm-2pm)- 2-3 whole wheat roti+ 1 bowl dal + 1 bowl salad
- Evening snack (4-5pm)-1 cup tea + dry roast channa
- Dinner(7-8pm)- 2 chapati + 1 cup moong dal + 1 cup salad
Thursday Diet Plan for Ulcerative Colitis Patients
- Breakfast (7a.m-8a.m)- 2 piece vegetable(cucumber,lettuce,potato) whole wheat sandwich + 1 cup tea
- Mid-morning (11a.m)- 1 glass coconut water
- Lunch (1pm-2pm)- 1 bowl rige gourd sabji+ 1 plate salad+ 2 whole wheat chapati
- Evening snack (4-5pm)- 1 glass carrot juice
- Dinner(7-8pm)- 1 bowl rice with 1 bowl moong dal fry.
Friday Diet Plan for Ulcerative Colitis Patients
- Breakfast (7a.m-8a.m)- 1 methi-pudina stuffed roti with little cows ghee+1 buttermilk
- Mid-morning (11a.m)- 1 bowl mix fruit salad
- Lunch (1pm-2pm) – 1 bowl pumpkin sabji + 1 cup moong daal + 2-3 chappati
- Evening snack (4-5pm)-1 cup herbal tea.
- Dinner(7-8pm)- 1 cup masoor daal + 1 cup boiled rice + 1 bowl salad.
Saturday Diet Plan for Ulcerative Colitis Patients
- Breakfast (7a.m-8a.m)- veg semolina +1 glass butter milk
- Mid-morning (11a.m)-coconut water
- Lunch (1pm-2pm)- veg khichdi+ 1 plate salad
- Evening snack (4-5pm)- dry roasted chana(15gm)+ little jaggery
- Dinner(7-8pm)- veg jow dalia + 1 plate cucumber salad
Sunday Diet Plan for Ulcerative Colitis Patients
- Breakfast (7a.m-8a.m)- 1 bowl suji kheer
- Mid-morning (11a.m)- fresh peeled fruits salad
- Lunch (1pm-2pm)-1 bowl pumpkin sabji +2 whole wheat roti+1 plate salad
- Evening snack (4-5pm)- 1 glass butter milk
- Dinner(7-8pm)-veg dahlia+ 1 plate salad+1 cup moong dal
Food to eat and avoid in ulcerative colitis patients:
It’s is recommended that patient who is suffering from Ulcerative colitis must be focused on food to consume and avoid.
Grains to eat and avoid in Ulcerative colitis
Whole wheat , semolina ,vermicelli , Rice
Whole refined flour
Fruits to eat and avoid in ulcerative colitis
Banana, pomegranate, apple, pear, bael fruit
All citrus fruits like oranges, pineapple, lemon, watermelon
Vegetables to eat and avoid in ulcerative colitis
Pumpkin, bottle gourd, ash gourd, ridge gourd, sponge gourd, gourd, potato, turnip
Garlic, ginger, tomato, brinjal, spinach, onion, peas, cucumber, beans, okra
Lentils to eat and avoid in Ulcerative colitis
Moong dal, masoor dal
Chick peas ,kidney beans (rajma), urad dal
Non-veg to eat and avoid in Ulcerative colitis
Egg white, Chicken soup, roasted fish
Prawns, beef, frozen and processed meats, crabs, lobster, egg yolk, mutton,duck, red meat, sausages
Spices to eat and avoid in ulcerative colitis
Fennel, cumin, coriander, black pepper, turmeric
Red chillies, green chillies
beverages to eat and avoid in ulcerative colitis
Vegetable soup, lime water, coconut water, herbal tea
Alcohol, canned juices, packaged soup, carbonated drinks, coffee, tea, milk, smoothie
- Eat smaller meals and limit your fiber intake.
- Consult your doctor immediately in case of any complications e.g bleeding.
- To relieve stress include meditation, deep breathing exercises.
- Stay hydrated and soothe skin irritation.
- Take medications on time to manage symptoms.
Conclusion: Ayurveda treatment of ulcerative colitis with dietary counseling, regular follow-up, meditation, and yoga alleviates many symptoms and promotes healthy living.
Find a Diet Consultation Online: Get a Personalized diet plan for Ulcerative Colitis patients
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized diet consultation. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggest a diet plan for Ulcerative Colitis patients as per their needs and requirement. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE
NOTE- These dietary guidelines may vary from patient to patient according to their medical parameters. These are generalized guidelines that might help in Ulcerative Colitis.
More Article to Read