Benefits of Dalchini/ Cinnamon, Medicinal Uses, Dosage, and Side Effects
In Hindi, Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) is also called Dalchini and is an aromatic spice that is found in almost every kitchen.
In the Sanskrit language, it is called tweak and has been used by our Acharyas to treat several health-related issues. The inner bark of the tree is collected and used as a spice in the kitchen for making delicious dishes. This bark is peeled off from the trees after 7 to 8 years old and is called cinnamon sticks. As per Ayurveda, it shows effective results in improving digestive strength and treating diabetes mellitus.
Botanical name- Cinnamomum Zeylanicum
Meaning of shloka
This shloka means that synonyms of dalchini are Tvak, Svadvi, and Darusita. This herb is bitter and balances Vata and Pitta dosha. It is aromatic and promotes or increases Shukra dhatu, complexion, and treats dryness in the mouth and thirst.
Reference- Bhavaprakasha nighantu- page no. 226-227 and shloka no. 66 and 67)
Cinnamon (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum) Names in different languages
- Sanskrit name- Tamalparta, Tvak
- English name- Ceylon Cinnamon, Cinnamon
- Hindi name- Dalchini
- Punjabi name- Darchini, Dalchini
- Urdu name- Darchini
- Bengali name- Darichini
- Telugu name- Dalchini chekka, Lavangapatta, Lavanagamu
- Kannada name- Dalchini Chakke
- Siddha name- Elavangappattai
- Malayalam name- Ilavarngathely, Karuvapatta
- Oriya name- Guda twak, Dalechini
- Tamil name- Karuvapattai, Lavangapattai, Ilayangam
- Gujarati name- Taja
- French name- Cammelle
- Spanish name- Canela
Synonyms in the Sanskrit language
- Svadvi- As this herb has a sweet taste
- Mukhashodhana, Mukha Shodhy– Helps to clean mouth
- Vanapriya- grows wildly in the forests
- Saimhalam- Was found in Sri Lanka
- Bahugandha, Utkata, Gandhavalka- It has an aromatic smell
Other synonyms are Tvak patta, Rama Vallabha, Lataparna, Swarna Bhumika, Bhringam, Ramapriya, Kavacha, Saihala, Latapatra, Ramapriya Tanutvak, Shakala, Chocha, Darusita, and Varanga.
Categorization according to classical books
Acharya Sushruta- Eladi
Acharya Vagbhatta- Eladi
This herb is also a member of Trijataka (Group of 3 spices ie., Cinnamon, Cardamom, and Cinnamomum Tamala) and Chaturjata (group of trijata and Nagkeshara)
Morphological characteristics of Cinnamon (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum )
Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) Is an Evergreen plant that grows up to the height of more than 30 feet. Its leaves are dark green, deeply veined, and ovate. The flowers are yellow too white, small, and have an unpleasant odor that is grown in bunches. The fruits of this plant are dark purple with seeds inside them being oval. The younger tree possesses smooth bark and while the old tree is rough, brittle, and brownish.
Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) is found in Sri Lanka but can also be grown in southern coastal regions like the Western Ghats and adjoining hills of western India. It is also native to Mauritius, Borneo, Guyana, Sumatra, Java, West Indies, South America, etc.
Cinnamaldehyde, Benzaldehyde, Eugenol, Phellandrene, Pinene, safrole, Cymene, Linalool, Methyl amyl ketone, Aldehyde, Methyl eugenol, Caryophyllene, Cinnzeylanol, Borneol, Cinnamyl alcohol, Cinnzeylanin, epicatechin, Cumic, Cinnacassiol D1, etc.
Medicinal properties of Dalchini/ Cinnamon/ Cinnamomum Zeylanicum
- Rasa (Taste)- Madhura (sweet), Katu (pungent) and Tikta (bitter)
- Guna (Quality)- Rooksha (Dry), Teekshna (piercing), and Laghu (Light)
- Veerya (Potency)- Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka (Undergoes taste conversion after digestion)- Katu (Pungent)
- Effect on Tridosha– Balances Vata and Kapha dosha but increases pitta dosha
Medicinal uses as per Ayurveda
- Kanta Vaktra Rujahara- helps to relieve sore throat and oral pain
- Krumihara- treats worm infestation
- Pittala- it increases Pitta Dosha
- Peenasa- treats rhinitis
- Aruchi- treats anorexia
- Kandu- relieves itching and pruritus
- Basti Shodhana- cleanses urinary bladder and works as a diuretic. Thus, fights against urinary retention, dysuria, etc.
- Amavatahara- helps to treat rheumatoid arthritis
- Vishapaha- works as an anti-toxic that is useful in toxic conditions
- Vataja Arsha- treats painful hemorrhoids
- Peenasahara- treats allergic rhinitis and symptoms like running nose
- Shiroruk Hara– treats headache
- Kaphakasahara- treats cough with sputum
- Kantashuddhikara – cleanses and clears throat
Therapeutic uses of (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
In diabetes mellitus, dalchini maintains a sugar level by improving glucose intake. The chemical constituents present in it also prevent glucose conversion to sorbitol and reduce the risk of complications related to diabetes mellitus. As per Ayurveda, It expels out the ama accumulated in the body which causes infection.
Heart diseases are caused due to an imbalance of Kapha dosha in the body. Cinnamon helps to prevent toxins accumulation because of its hot nature and Kapha balancing property. It shows effective results in the case of nasal allergy by blocking the synthesis and release of inflammatory mediators like Cytokines.
Being an antioxidant dalchini lowers the risk of narrowing arteries by reducing toxin accumulation. As per Ayurveda, heart diseases are caused due to Kapha dosha imbalance which increases the risk of blood clotting. Hence this herb prevents blood clotting and keeps the arteries healthy.
Part used- leaves, stem bark, oil
Dosage- 1 to 3 grams (powder)
2 to 5 drops (oil)
It can also be used in the form of oil for external application, either dilution with sesame oil or can be used directly.
Side effects of Dalchini/ Cinnamon/ Cinnamomum Zeylanicum
As it is hot, this herb is not good for patients who are suffering from burning sensation and gastritis. As per Ayurveda, those who have pitta dosha body type and are sensitive to sun heat, suffering from bleeding disorders like heavy periods, nasal bleeding, etc. should not use this herb. It can cause skin rashes, redness in the eyes, Lips and tongue swelling, etc. But can be used in low doses during Pregnancy, Lactation, and in small children.
As per this article, it is concluded that dalchini shows good results in case of allergic conditions, heart diseases, and diabetes mellitus. But its excessive dose can cause a burning sensation, redness in the eyes, tongue swelling, skin rashes, etc. It can be used in low doses in case of pregnancy, lactation, and small children. It should be contraindicated in Pitta body type, Gastritis, and burning sensation.
Some FAQs Related to Dalchini/ Cinnamon/ Cinnamomum Zeylanicum
Ques: In what dosage we can use Cinnamon powder?
You can use cinnamon powder in the dosage of 1 to 3 grams.
Ques: What are the contraindications of cinnamon?
Cinnamon should be contraindicated in gastritis, burning sensation, and pitta body type people. It can be given in low doses during pregnancy, lactation, and in small children.
Ques: Does dalchini work in urine retention?
Yes, dalchini work in urine retention because of its diuretic property.
Ques: Is dalchini useful in diabetes?
Yes, dalchini is useful in diabetes as it lowers the blood sugar level and prevents glucose conversion into sorbitol.
Note: Our purpose is to serve useful information related to cinnamon‘s benefits, dosage, and other properties. It is advised to the patients not to consume this on the basis of this information. Before taking it as a medicine, it is better to have an expert opinion because dosage and treatment vary from patient to patient depending on their symptoms and medical history.
Doctor Consultation Online: Get Personalized Consultation
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients and does the root analysis of causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggests the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE
More Articles To Read
- Health Benefits of Cardamom, Overview, Medicinal Uses, Dosage, and Side Effects
- Health benefits of Chandan (Sandalwood), Overview, medicinal uses, dosage, and side effects
- Health Benefits of Manjistha, Medicinal Uses, Dosage, and Side effects
- Health Benefits of Moringa Oleifera (drum stick), Overview, Uses and Side effect