Ayurvedic Treatment for Irregular Periods
Menstruation is a state in which every month a woman faces bleeding from vagina as a normal part of the menstrual cycle. The process is also known as having a period. Some women face heavy bleeding, stomach ache, acne etc during menstruation while other women may suffer from irregular periods. The menstrual cycle determines the overall reproductive health of a woman. Normally, the menstrual cycle lasts for about 28 days but sometimes you may face delayed or irregular periods. An irregular period is considered as a condition in which a period exceeds 38 days or if the duration varies. According to many studies, about 30 percent of women experience irregular periods during childbearing years.
Menstrual Health in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, the menstrual cycle removes the toxins from the woman’s body and is considered a blessing because it renews the woman’s body. The Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha highly influence the menstrual cycle or periods of a woman. To maintain regularity in your periods, you can reach out to your doctor and follow the prescribed changes in your diet and lifestyle.
What Are Irregular Periods?
Irregular periods also known as oligomenorrhea, take place when there is a change in birth control, heavy physical exercises during periods, hormonal balance or fluctuation in hormones around the time of menopause. Irregular period is a grave problem that may cause emotional stress, weight fluctuations, and eating disorders. It may also cause fertility disorders not just because of uncertainty in dates but due to the underlying health issues as well.
However, highly irregular periods indicate a severe hormonal imbalance in the body. Usually, you may feel some discomfort and pain during periods but if you are experiencing irregular periods, you need to reach out to a doctor for treatment to avoid other health complications.
Irregular Periods Symptoms
- You have bleeding apart from your natural periodic cycle.
- You may have periods even after menopause.
- Longer and heavy periods.
- Frequent or delayed menstruation
Some major causes affecting the period cycle are
- Consuming Birth control Pills
- Thyroid disorders
- Stress or anxiety
- Eating disorders
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Uterine Fibroids
- Excessive exercise during periods
- Consuming Certain Medicines
- Imbalance of Tridosha (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) in the body
- Lifestyle: Lack of physical activity and exercise, too much physical exertion during menses.
- Illness: Long-term illnesses like fever, tuberculosis, thyroid problem, etc.
Irregular Periods Diagnosis
To diagnose irregular periods, your doctor will take a pelvic exam and enquire about your medical history. The diagnostics will be based on your symptoms and may include:
- PAP test.
- Blood test
- Pelvic ultrasound
- Endometrial biopsy
- Pregnancy test.
Irregular Periods in Ayurveda
The Apana Vata that manages the menstrual cycle is the ayurvedic sub dosha of Vata. The Apana Vata is found in the lower abdomen and looks after the downward flow through the intestines, urinary and reproductive tracts. According to Ayurveda, any imbalance in this particular dosha causes irregular periods. The imbalance is caused due to stress, improper diet, long-term illnesses, physical inactivity, over-exertion during periods, and certain other medications.
While in some cases Ectopic pregnancy, PCOS, Anemia, or Thyroid are some other factors that cause irregular periods. During puberty and the pre-menopause phase, irregular periods are common and in both conditions, you can get relief by making changes in your lifestyle and diet according to Ayurveda.
Benefits of Ayurveda in treating irregular periods:
- Usually have no known side effects.
- Helps to control vaginal and urinary tract infections and certain other problems naturally.
- Helps in balancing the hormonal levels
- Helps to reduce menstrual cramps naturally
Ayurvedic Remedies for irregular periods
The Ayurveda can play an effective role to fight irregular periods, gynecological and obstetric issues. Below are some of the Ayurvedic remedies that can help you to control irregular periods.
- Maintain a good lifestyle and eat healthy and nutritious Food
- Include meditation, breathing, and physical exercises in your routine.
- Stay away from heavy physical work during menses.
- A good oil massage over the body helps in pacifying aggravated Vata.
Ayurvedic Treatment for irregular periods
The treatment of irregular periods depends on the following:
- Your overall health
- Reason for your menstrual abnormalities
- Your reproductive history and plans
- The doctor will also focus on other medical conditions like thyroid dysfunctions, diabetes etc.
When to visit a Doctor?
- If you are missing more than three periods in a year.
- If your periods are more often than every 21 days.
- If your periods are less often than every 35 days.
- If you bleed more than normal during periods.
- If you bleed for more than 7 days.
- If pain is more than normal during your period.
- Several studies suggest that a well-balanced diet containing fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish other sources of omega-3 foods, low-fat dairy food, proteins, lean meat can be effective in regulating your periods.
- Avoiding saturated fats like butter, cream, and potato chips, reducing salt amount and caffeine, consuming a good amount of water and herbal teas can play an effective role in dealing with the problem of irregular periods
Herbal Remedies for irregular periods
Below are some of Life Aveda`s products that can not only help you in dealing with the problem of irregular periods but will address the root cause of the problem.
- Premium Female Vitality :- Female Vitality is a power-packed tonic formulation for balancing the female hormones and revitalizing the reproductive system. The Ashoka, Lodhra, and Kachnar in the Female Vitality capsules support healthy reproductive organs, improvise the libido and regularize the menstrual cycle. Shatavari promotes a healthy hormonal balance and promotes the overall well-being of the female body. Ashwagandha is a sexual stimulant herb and also relaxes the mind and body by reducing stress levels. You can take Female Vitality capsules to vitalize the whole female body.
- Premium Shatavri :- Shatavari helps to regularise female hormones, manages menopausal symptoms, promotes libido, maintains a healthy heart, combat depression, and aids in weight loss, this incredible herb does it all.
The problem of irregular periods is faced by several women with symptoms varying from one woman to another. There can be several reasons due to which irregular periods take place and because of the irregular periods, women face a lot of difficulties. But there is nothing to panic about irregular periods because Ayurveda is the best way to deal with the problem of irregular periods as it not only fights for the problem but also focuses on the root causes.