Shilajit is a natural substance rich in phytochemicals and biochemicals and has been used in Ayurveda for many ages to treat various diseases 3000 years ago. As per Ayurveda, it is a famous Rasayana dravya (rejuvenating remedy) and aphrodisiac. It is believed that the mountains are getting heated due to the strong sun rays of ashada and jyeshta months which melt the layers of mountains and this yields a resin that is semi-solid-liquid, Shilajatu. It resembles car tar inconsistency and it gains shine upon drying.
Shilajit Names in different languages:
- English name – Black asphaltum, Mineral pitch, Mineral wax
- Farsi name – Mumlai
- Russian name – Mumijo, Mumiyo
- Malayalam name – Kanmada
- Persian name – Mumiya
- Malayalam name – Kanmada
Synonyms according to the Sanskrit language:
Shaila, Shailadhatuja, Girijaatu, Shailodbhabva, Shaileya, Adrija,- obtained from mountains and hills
Shilasweda, Ashma laksha, Shilamaya, Shila niryasa, Gaireya which to black stone in size and shape
For millions of years, a structure called humus is trapped under the layers of Himalayan rocks and is made up of humans and organic plant material which is compressed by layers of rocks for millions of years. This substance comes out in summers from Himalayan mountains and that is like “rock exudate” or “rock resin”. Most of the people visited those areas and collected this shilajit to take care of the problems.
Humus is formed when the microorganisms of soil decompose animals and plant material into elements usable by plants.
Meaning of this shloka-
This shloka means that synonyms of shilajit are shilajatu, adrijatu, shailniryas, gaireya, ashmaj, girij, and shaildhatuj. It is of pungent and astringent taste, undergoes pungent taste after digestion, rejuvenating, treats constipation, has bioavailability, treats diabetes, stones, urinary diseases, tuberculosis, asthma, piles, anemia, mental disorders, skin diseases, and worm infestation.
(Reference- Bhavaprakash nighantu- pg no. 600 and shloka no. 79 to 81)
These are two varieties of shilajit that are-
- Karpura shilajit (Potassium nitrate) which is also called Surya kshara, Soraka, Kalami sora, Kanmada, Kshara, etc.
- Gomutra shilajit (mineral pitch)
This is classified as Nisatwa shilajatu and Sasatwa shilajtu
Acharya Charak has mentioned 4 types:
- Swarangarbha Shilajatu – It is obtained from areas like mountains where gold ores are found
- Lohagarbha Shilajatu – It is obtained from areas where iron ores are found
- Rajatagarbha Shilajatu – It is obtained from areas where silver ores are found
- Tamragarbha Shilajatu – This is obtained from mountains and areas where silver ores are found
Acharya has added two more types of shilajit to the above to explain 6 and these are-
- Vangagarbha shilajatu
- Naga garbha shilajatu
- Rasa (taste) – Katu (pungent) and Tikta (bitter)
- Veerya (potency) – Ushna
- Vipaka (undergoes taste conversion after digestion) – Katu
Types of shilajit along with their uses:
From stone having sliver in it-
- It is pungent in taste, white in cooling, and sweet in vipaka
- From the stone having gold in it-
- It is sweet and bitter after taste
- Like the flowers of japa, its vipaka is pungent (taste conversion after digestion)
- From the stone having copper:
- It is bitter in taste and is resembles peacock throat
- Its vipaka is hot and pungent in vipaka
Chemical constituents present in it:
Fulvic acids, Humic acids, Humins, Dibenzo Alpha pyrones, and trace minerals. It is made from microbial action on humus and the fulvic acids are lattice-shaped molecules that act as barriers for trace minerals.
How long does it take for shilajit to work?
Shilajit should be taken for 6 to 8 weeks and if you want to take it better to take it for a longer period of time than take it for 2 months and maintain a gap of 1 month after that and then continue it again. he general use and for maintaining optimal health is to take 500 mg per day daily and this drug shows its best results after one month.
For strengthening the upper respiratory tract and in other diseases it should be taken from 500 mg to 1000 mg two times a day. For maintaining optimal health it should be taken around 300-500 mg per day. It will take approximately 6 to 8 weeks for proper therapeutic effects. But avoid this drug in the summers.
Shilajit daily dosage:
For upper respiratory diseases- 500 mg to 1000 mg
For maintaining proper health- 200 mg to 500 mg
Patients with pitta dosha vitiation should avoid shilajit because there will be pungent body odor. This is due to the hotness in the body because of pitta. In the pregnancy and lactation period, it should be taken after a doctor’s consultation.
Who should avoid shilajit?
Pitta disorders, pregnancy, and lactating mothers should avoid shilajit
Are there any side effects of shilajit?
Yes, pitta prakriti patients who are taking shilajit will feel hotness in the body, especially in summers.
Benefits of Shilajit:
- Rejuvenates and strengthens the immune system – Shilajit has immunomodulatory action that helps to provide strength to the immune system.
- Cleanses and strengthens the lungs – This herb also treats various chronic respiratory diseases by expelling out the accumulated mucus.
- Blood purifier – Being a detoxifier, it helps to eliminate toxins from the blood and treats blood disorders.
- Kidney diseases – It also helps to maintain strong kidney functioning and keeps the urinary tract healthy.
- Maintains blood sugar levels – In diabetes mellitus, shilajit keeps the blood sugar levels in the normal range and helps to maintain a healthy body weight naturally.
- Reproductive system – It provides strength to the reproductive system in both the male and female and also revitalizes the libido.
These are shilajit health benefits that will work properly if you use them in a proper way.
Shilajit benefits for females:
In females, shilajit helps to balance hormones ie., estrogen and progesterone in the female’s reproductive system. This also provides relief in menstrual cramps and maintains menstrual bleeding.
Shilajit benefits for males:
In males, it works in Alzheimer’s disease, anti-aging, infertility, chronic fatigue syndrome, and keeps the heart healthy.
From this article, it is concluded that shilajit has various medicinal benefits but it should be taken in the proper dose so that it will not create any side effects in the body.
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggest the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE