Holi and Ayurveda
Holi, the festival of colors, shares an old and deep connection with Ayurveda. Besides the merrymaking and joy associated with Holi, this festival of colors and joy has its deep roots in Ayurveda as traditionally, colorful Holi powders were prepared using the goodness of Ayurvedic herbs such as.
- Raktachandan and Kumkum for red,
- Jacaranda flowers for blue,
- Neem and Henna for green, and
- Turmeric for yellow.
- Bilwa, Amaltas, and Marigold.
The goodness and natural properties of these herbs not only provided a cool and calm effect on the skin, but the anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, nourishing, and coolant properties of these herbs also made them skin-friendly and excellent skin enhancers. These properties also help in reducing the Kapha and detoxifying the skin.
Avoid Cheaper and Artificial Holi Colors
But as the times’ changed, commercialization of products and competition led to the introduction of harmful chemicals and synthetic substances in the manufacturing of powdered Holi colors to provide cheaper alternatives but only on the cost of human health and environmental wellbeing.
These colors are prepared with toxic and unhealthy chemicals that are harmful to the skin and hair and may cause side effects that lead to rashes, irritation, eye infections, abrasions, and rough hair amongst the milder symptoms and vision impairment, respiratory problems, poisoning, and even skin cancer in the long-run.
What to do to protect your skin against Artificial Holi Colors
However hard we may try to avoid the use of these chemically manufactured colors, there are always chances of our skin, hair, mouth, and eyes getting exposed to them during the festivities. There are chances of these harmful colors seeping in through the skin and entering the system, eyes, and mouth. If you come across a similar situation, you can still take care by countering the damage caused by following these steps.
- To wash off the colors from your eyes, thoroughly wash them with normal water till you begin to experience relief.
- Do not rub your eyes as it may worsen the situation.
- Use water at normal temperature and not too hot or cold as it may cause irritation in the eyes.
- If you still feel that your eyes are burning and itching, it might be best to immediately consult a doctor.
- If you begin to feel uncomfortable and itchy in your skin, the chemical from the artificial colors might be the cause behind it.
- To take care of this, immediately wash your skin with water at normal temperature until the color begins to come off.
- Apply a deep moisturizing lotion or natural oil to provide nourishment to the skin and reduce the damage and dryness caused by the colors.
- Sometimes, the symptoms experienced post-exposure to artificial Holi dyes and colors may be caused due to allergic reactions. In that case, anti-allergy medications might be required.
- Life Aveda’s Aller Gi capsules can help you counter these allergic symptoms and provide relief against the same.
- If you injure or wound yourself accidentally, make sure you clean your skin with an antiseptic solution to clean off the color chemicals. Then cover it with a bandaid after applying antiseptic cream.
- In the case of skin allergies or infections, it is always advisable to consult a skin specialist or your doctor to avoid any further complications. In this regard, you can also consult our Ayurvedic experts at Life Aveda, who are equipped with Ayurvedic solutions to help you treat different allergies and infections.
- If you ingest any chemicals or Holi colors accidentally, immediately rinse it off by gargling with water to throw out any traces of color or the ingested chemical.
- Eat only soft foods as they will help in flushing out any remains of the color that might have stuck in the system.
- Wash your hands before consuming anything as the color on your hands might contaminate the food.
- Consult a doctor if you feel uneasy and sick post the ingestion.
Ayurvedic Formulations for Skin and Hair Nourishment
As observed, the refreshing and joyful festival of Holi can sometimes be challenging on your skin and hair. To be on the safer side, it is especially important to pre-prep ourselves beforehand to avoid any complications or infections even if we come into contact with these colors.
Application of moisturizers and oil over your skin and hair can help in forming a protective layer and prevent the harsh chemicals from the color from reaching your skin.
Life Aveda offers a series of Ayurvedic products and formulations, that help in skin and hair protection, nourishment, and enhancement.
- ONION BHRINGRAJ ENRICHED HAIR OIL:
maybe used to oil your hair before the Holi festivities.
- HAIR VITALS:
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily, to be consumed after meals.
- PREMIUM MANJISTHA CAPSULES:
Dosage: 1-2 capsules to be taken after meals with normal water.
- SKIN VITALS:
Dosage: 1-2 capsules daily after meals, to be taken with normal water.
- ONION BHRINGRAJ ENRICHED HAIR OIL: Life Aveda brings to you a complete scalp and hair solution. Oil your hair with this herbal oil that is rich in sulphur, potassium, and antioxidants, which provide nourishment and hair protection. The oil also helps in controlling hair fall and promotes hair growth.
- PREMIUM HAIR VITALS: Hair Vital capsules by Life Aveda promote the growth of thick and lustrous hair. Made with the combination of hibiscus and rosemary, it is an excellent hair tonic. It is also rich in antioxidants and purifies the blood.
- PREMIUM MANJISTHA CAPSULES: Manjistha is an Ayurvedic herb that helps in blood purification and revitalizes the skin. It helps in treating various skin allergies and infections and also cures swelling and bruises. Besides being a skin enhancer, it is also an excellent mood booster.
- PREMIUM SKIN VITALS: Packed with the goodness of 7 Ayurvedic herbs, skin vital capsule by Life Aveda is an excellent source for skin rejuvenation and enhancement. The capsules help in promoting healthy and glowing skin besides fighting skin allergies and infections.
We hope this article will come in handy in case you encounter any problems with Holi colors. If you require any medical or ayurvedic assistance regarding allergies or to procure the above-mentioned herbal supplements for hair and skincare, log on to avedaayur.com, and book your appointments for free consultancy. Meanwhile, we wish you all a very Happy, Safe, and colorful Holi.