Diabetes is a condition in which the sugar levels in the blood rises above the normal level. Sugar levels get increased in the blood due to decreased insulin production and unhealthy lifestyle habits. Increased level of sugar can damage the heart, eyes, liver, and other organs of the body. Ayurveda deemed Diabetes as Madhumeha which states “Sweet (honey like) urine”. Increased blood sugar levels cause excess secretion of sugar in the urine as well.
The signs and symptoms of diabetes include excess thirst, increased frequency to pass urine, digestion problems, inflammatory lesions, wasting of muscles, diarrhea, fever and necrosis.
Causes of Diabetes
Diabetes is a Kapha disorder developed due to imbalance of Kapha dosha. The imbalance can occur due to an unhealthy diet and lifestyle habits such as excess or lack of sleep, lack of physical activity, consumption of sweetened food items, unrestricted intake of yogurt, etc. Imbalanced Kapha Dosha decreases the digestive fire (Agni) which further slows down the body metabolism. This phenomenon increases the blood glucose levels in the body.
Diet Chart for Diabetes
Consumption of a balanced nutritious diet is essential to tackle diabetes by normalizing the blood sugar levels. In this segment, we have shared a generalized diet plan which if followed by diabetic patients might avoid a rise in the blood glucose levels.
Early morning- A glass or two of water + 1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds/ Amla powder
1 glass Copper pot water + 5 Mint leaves + 1 or 2 Tulsi leaves
Breakfast– Veg Oats/ Veg Idli/ Veg Vermicelli/ Veg Upma/ Veg Khichdi/ Besan pancake/ Missi Roti/ Chapatti with Vegetable or Dal/ Egg whites
Mid-morning– Sprouts/ Coconut water/ Salad/
Lunch– Chapatti with Vegetable + Dal + Salad/ Fish/ Chicken (Occasionally) (Add 1 tsp Fenugreek seed powder 30 minutes before lunch)
Evening– Roasted Chana/ Herbal tea/ Homemade soup
Dinner– Chapatti with Vegetable + Dal + Salad/ Nutri Nuggets
*Completely stop the usage of Sugar in your diet
Foods To Consume in Diabetes
- Cereals: Oats, Whole grains, Whole Wheat Flour ratio: Wheat flour (1 kg) + Chana flour (250gm)
- Fruits: Apricot, Peach, Loquat, Pear, Plum, Blackberry (Jamun), Melon, Papaya, Guava, Apple, Pomegranate, Orange and Amla
- Vegetables: Curry leaf, Mint, Turnip, Coriander, Green pepper, Green chili, Ginger, Beetroot, Cucumber, Broccoli, Fenugreek leaves, Green beans, Peas, Pumpkin, Radish, Round gourd, Ridge gourd, Bottle gourd, Capsicum, Mushroom, Spinach, Beans, Cabbage, Cauliflower and Okra (Bhindi)
- Pulses: All split lentils and legumes Frozen pulses only
- Dairy products: Tofu Whole milk and Cream, Butter, Full fat Yogurt, Cheese and condensed milk
- Spices: Cinnamon, Fennel, Pepper, Ginger, Turmeric, Coriander and Cumin
- Drinks: Amla juice, Herbal tea, Bottle gourd juice, Bitter gourd juice, Coconut water, Neem juice and Giloy juice
- Flesh foods: Chicken soup, Roasted or Grilled fish and Egg whites
- Dry fruits and seeds: Sesame seeds, Flax seeds, Chia seeds, Pumpkin seeds, soaked walnuts and almonds
- Oils: Olive oil, Canola oil, Soybean oil, Cow ghee (Only in small amounts) Note: 500 ml of cooking oil to be used per month
- Other foods: Homemade products only All bakery items, artificial sweeteners, sweets, jams, fruit jellies, sauces, coconut bar, chocolate, cream soups, ice-cream, mayonnaise, pickles and fried foods
Foods To Avoid in Diabetes
- Rice, Refined sugar, Whole refined flour and its products
- Sapodilla, Dates, Grapes, Litchi, mango, banana
- Potato, Taro root, Sweet potato, Eggplant,Yam, Jackfruit, Frozen and Canned vegetables,
- Frozen pulses only
- Whole milk and Cream, Butter, Full fat Yogurt, Cheese and condensed milk
- Red chilies
- Carbonated beverages, Cream based liqueurs, Alcohol, Whole milk drinks, Sugarcane juice, Canned and Packaged soup
- Egg yolk, Rabbit, Turkey, Ham, Lamb, Pork, Lean beef, Crab, Lobster, Prawns, Red meat, Goose, Duck, Mutton and organ parts like Chest, Liver and Kidney
- Peanuts, Raisins, Cashew and Pistachio
- Hydrogenated oil, Cream, Butter and Trans-fat
- All bakery items, artificial sweeteners, sweets, jams, fruit jellies, sauces, coconut bar, chocolate, cream soups, ice-cream, mayonnaise, pickles and fried foods
- Go for a walk for at least 30-45 minutes.
- Eat more salad to complete the intake of fiber.
- Don’t skip meals, especially breakfast.
- Consume seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Use herbal tea prepared with Cumin, Coriander and Fennel.
- Eat 5 soaked almonds and 1 soaked walnut daily.
- Reduce stress levels by doing meditation daily.
Find a Diet Consultation Online: Get Personalized diet chart for diabetes
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized diet consultation. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis, the doctor suggests a diet chart for diabetes as per their needs and requirement. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
NOTE – These dietary guidelines may vary from patient to patient according to their medical parameters. These are generalized guidelines that might be helpful in diabetes.