Benefits of Brihati, Medicinal uses, dosage, and side effects
In Ayurveda, Brihati is one of the most common effective herbs used to treat various conditions like sore throat, cough, cold, etc. Being a natural digestive, it also works as a good appetizer. Due to its diuretic property, it is good for kidneys and also beneficial to the heart. In dashmoola (a group of 10 herbs), it is an herb that works as a natural anti-inflammatory.
Its fruit is also used in Ayurveda treatment for treating respiratory disorders. The term ‘Brihati’ refers to the dry fruits of this plant. Its fruit also shows properties like antipyretic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, etc.
Latin name- Solanum Indicum
Meaning of this shloka-
This shloka means that synonyms of Brihati are Vatarki, Kshudrabhandaki, Mahti, Brihati, Kuli, Hinguli, Rashtrika, Singi, Mahoshtri, and Dushpragharshini. It is good for constipation, good for the heart, digestive, balances kapha and vata, pungent and bitter. It also increases taste, treats indigestion, hot potency, and treats skin disorders, fever, asthma, pain, cough, and low digestive fire.
(Reference: Bhavaprakasha nighantu- guduchyadi varga- page no. 275 and shloka no. 36-37)
Names in different languages
- English name- Indian Nightshade, Poison Berry, Bush Tomato, African Eggplant
- Hindi Name- Vanabhanta, Badi Kateri
- Marathi Name- Dorali
- Bengali Name- Vyakud, Rambegun
- Telugu Name- Tella Mulaka, Pedda Mulaka
- Tamil Name- Papparamalli, Anachundai
- Gujarati Name- Ubhi ringani
- Farsi name- Katai Kalaam
Synonyms in the Sanskrit language
- Bruhati- Brihat means its size is big.
- Kshudrabhantaki- Bhantaki means Egg Plant because the structure of this plant is similar to Egg Plant.
- Simha- Simha means lion and regular use of this herb make the throat as strong as same of a Lion.
- Other synonyms are Hinguli, Duspradharshini
Brihati is a shrub that is highly branched and spiny and usually grows up to the height of 1 to 5 Meters. The younger branches are covered with thick star-shaped hair and spines are 1-5 cm long and are shiny yellowish. Its leaves are simple, large, and oval-shaped with a length of 10 cm. Its flowers are 2 cm long and purple colored. The fruits are 1.5 to 2 cm, round, and dark yellow or reddish when ripe. The seeds are minutely pitted and smooth. Its roots are yellowish-brown in color. It is ripped, Woody, and cylindrical with a 2.5 cm diameter.
This herb is cultivated in a tropical and subtropical areas of India and Nepal up to 1500 m. It is grown throughout India, mainly in waste places, open shrublands, and on roadsides.
Categorization according to classical books
- Kanthya- Herbs that are used in throat related disorders
- Hikkanigrahana- Herbs that are used in treating hiccups
- Shothahara- Herb that works as an anti-inflammatory
- Angamarda Prashamana- Herbs that relieve pain
- Acharya Sushruta- Laghu Pancamula, Bruhatyadi
- Acharya Vagbhata- Bruhatyadi
Chemical constituents present in it
Solanocarpone, Solanine, Carpesterol, Carotene, Diosogenin, Lanosterol, Vitamin C, Solasonine, B- Sitosterol, Solamargine, Solasodine, etc
- Rasa (taste)- Katu (pungent), and Tikta (bitter)
- Guna (qualities)- Laghu (light), and Rooksha (dry)
- Veerya (Potency)- Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka (Undergoes taste conversion after digestion)- Katu (Pungent)
Medicinal uses as per Ayurveda
- Shwasaapaha- used to treat asthma and chronic respiratory disorders
- Shoolapaha- used to relieve abdominal colic pain
- Jwaraapaha- relieves fever
- Charddi- used to relieve vomiting
- Graahini- works as an absorbent property and treats diarrhea, IBS, and malabsorption syndrome
- Hrudroga- treats cardiac disorders
- Agnimandyajit- increases digestive strength
- Amadosha- Used to relieve Ama (toxins)
- Hrudya- Works as a cardiac tonic
- Kushtajit- treats skin disorders
- Mandagni- improves digestive strength
- Paachani- works as a natural digestive
- Shukra rechaka- Helps to treat semen ejaculated problems
- Vandhyanam apathyada- Treats female infertility
- Deepani- Carminative
- Aasya Mala Vairasya- relieves bad breath and tongue coating
- Arochaka- treats anorexia
- Vatajit- Treats Vata disorders (i.e., neurological disorders)
- Brihati Fruit-
- Laghu- Light
- Katu, and Tikta- It is pungent and bitter
- Kushtaghna- Helps to treat skin diseases
- Kandughna- Used to relieve itching and treat pruritis
- Krumighna- Relieves intestinal worm infestation
- KaphaVata shamana- Balances Vata and Kapha
Brihati works as a diuretic that increases the flow of urine and shows effective results in case of dysuria. This herb also expels out calcium deposition in the form of calcium oxalate from the body through urine.
Brihati works as an appetizer which increases appetite and relieves indigestion. In intestinal worms, it kills or stops the growth of microbes in the intestine and keeps it healthy. Because of its anti-inflammatory property, it also decreases inflammation and hence reduces redness, infection, and pain in the body.
Because of its expectorant activity, it expels out the thick mucus from the lungs and clears the respiratory passage. It also treats other symptoms related to respiratory ailments like cough, sore throat, cold, etc.
Root and Fruit
Dosage to take
- 2 to 3 grams (Powder)
- 30 ml (Decoction)
There are no side effects that have been noticed after using this herb but in the case of pregnant ladies, lactating mothers, and small children, it is better to consult your doctor before using it.
From this article, it is concluded that Brihati works as an absorbent and treats diarrhea, IBS, and malabsorption syndrome. It also treats fever, skin disorders, anorexia, cardiac diseases, etc. There are no known side effects of brihati but use it with care and after doctor’s consultation in pregnant ladies, lactating mothers, and small children.
Some FAQS Related to Brihati
Ques: Can Brihati treat urinary infections?
Yes, Brihati can treat urinary infections because of its diuretic effect that expels out toxins from the body and increases the urine flow.
Ques: Can Brihati treat respiratory ailments?
Brihati can treat respiratory ailments like cold, cough, asthma, etc. because of its expectorant activity.
Ques: Does Brihati treat intestinal worms?
Brihati works as an appetizer which increases appetite and relieves indigestion. In intestinal worms, it kills or stops the growth of microbes in the intestine and keeps it healthy.
Ques: What are the side effects of Brihati?
There are no side effects seen after using this herb but it should be avoided in lactating mothers, pregnant ladies, and small children. So use it after consulting with the doctor.
Note: Our purpose is to serve useful information related to Kala Brihati’s benefits, dosage, and other properties. It is advised to the patients not to consume it on the basis of this information. Before taking this as a medicine it is better to have an expert opinion because dosage and treatment vary from patient to patient depending on their symptoms and medical history.
Doctor Consultation Online: Get Personalized Consultation
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients and does the root analysis of causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggests the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE