Benefits of Bhumiamla, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & Side effect
Bhumiamla is also called a stone breaker and Chanca piedra. In Ayurveda, it is the main ingredient used to treat several related disorders and is also an ingredient of Chyawanprash. This herb is also used to treat fever, fracture, jaundice, and various skin-related issues. It is known as Bhumi Amla because it is small in size and present in Bhoomi (land) mainly seen in the rainy season. It also promotes the removal of the salt (oxalate crystals) which are responsible for kidney stone formation.
Botanical name- Phyllanthus niruri
Meaning of shloka-
This shloka means that synonyms of Bhumi Amla are bhumyamlika, Shiva, tamlaki, bahupatra, Bahuphala, bahuveerya, ajta, and bhudhatri. It is of bitter and sweet taste, increases vata dosha, cold in Potency, and treats thirst, cough, pitta, blood, and skin-related disorders.
(Reference- Bhavaprakasha nighantu- guduchyadi varga- page no. 445 and shloka no. 277-278)
Names in different languages
- Hindi name- Bhui amla, Jangli amlai
- English name- Stonebreaker, Gale of wind
- Urdu name- Bhumiamala
- Gujarathi name- Bhanya amli
- Bengali name- Bhui amla
- Marathi name- Bhui avla, Bhui amla
- Malayalam name- kizhukanelli, Kizharnelli
- Kannada name- Bhu nelli, Nelanelli
- Oriya name- Bhui amla
- Telugu name- Nela usiraka
- Tamil name- Kilanelli
- Spanish name- Chanca piedra
- Bihar- Meri koa, kandara
- Burma- Mizhipiya
- Brazilian name- Quebrapedra
- Delhi- Monk, Dhadhan
- Canresa- Kirannelligida
- Decan name- Bhuvinanvalah
- Sind name- Niruri
- Westindies name- Pettitamarine
- Philipines- Hierba de san Paulo
- French name- Herbed u chargin
Synonyms in the Sanskrit language
- Bahupatra, Shatamala- this herb has many leaves
- Bhumyamlaki, Bhoomi Amalaki, Bhu dhatri- its small fruits found on the ground level
- Tali- as it removes malas (toxins) from the body and retains health
- Bahuphala, Bahusuta- it has many fruits
- Shiva, Shubhankini- an auspicious herb
- Bahu veerya- it is highly potent
- Tamalaki- its fruits resemble small amalaki (gooseberry)
- Sookshma patri, Trutoshiva- its leaves are small in size
Other synonyms are Drudha Pada, Tali, Drudhamala, Himalaya, Vitunnaka, Dhrudha, Tamalini, Dhurdha Phala, Jatapi, Charuta, Vishvakparni, Tunnakarika, Ajata, and Ucchata
Bhumi Amla is a tropical plant that grows up to the height of 2 feet and has small leaves. These leaves are arranged in rows alternatively, elliptical and have a narrow base with two stipules present in it. Its flowers are, monoecious, and mainly found in pairs. The branches are herbaceous and the bark is smooth with a light green color. Its fruits are small capsules that have seeds present in them.
It is found in coastal India in a temperate climate.
Niranthin, nirtetralin, criodictiol, Flavonoids, glycosides, ligans, ellagitans, alkaloids, amarin, phenyl proponoids, gernanin, sterols, lipids, etc.
- Rasa (Taste)- Madhura (Sweet), Kashaya (Astringent) and Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Quality) – Laghu (Light) and Rooksha (Dry)
- Vipaka (Undergoes sweet taste after digestion)- Madhura (Sweet)
- Veerya (Potency)- Sheeta (Cold)
- Karma (Actions on Tridosha)- Kaphapitta shamaka (reduces vitiated kapha and pitta dosha)
Medicinal uses as per Ayurveda
- Rochani- it improves taste and is used in anorexia
- Pandu- treats anemia
- Visha- Works in toxic conditions and poisoning
- Pittasra and Raktapitta- Treats various bleeding disorders such as heavy periods, nasal bleeding, etc
- Shwasa- relieves asthma and various chronic respiratory disorders
- Kaphaja Kushta- treats several skin diseases
- Trushna- Relieves excessive thirst
- Hidhma- Relieves hiccups
- Kshataksheena- treats wounds and injury
- Pipasa- treats excess thirst, dry mouth
- Mutraroga- treats urinary tract disorders
- Daha- treats burning sensation in gastritis, neuropathy, and burning sensation in eyes, etc
- Kasa- Treats cough and cold
- Pitta Meha- treats diabetes and urinary tract disorders
Analgesic, Hepatoprotective, Astringent, Febrifugal, Appetizer, Hypoglycemic, Antispasmodic, Tonic, Anti-viral, Biliary, Laxative, Carminative, urinary Cell protective property, Vermifugal, and Emmenagogue.
Bhumi Amla helps to manage conditions related to liver disorders like hepatitis b. Being a hepatoprotective improves liver functioning and maintenance of overall health. Due to its pitta balancing property, it also manages pitta dosha in the body. Its antiviral activity kills or stops the growth of the virus in the liver.
Bhumi Amla prevents hair loss caused due to chemotherapy or other medical issues. Its pitta balancing property helps to prevent baldness caused due to hormonal imbalance in males. It also improves digestion and provides nutrition to hair for healthy growth.
Because of its antioxidant property, it helps to prevent the damage caused by free radicals and protects gastric cells from damage. This herb reduces gastric acid secretion due to its alkaline nature. As per Ayurveda because of its coolant property also provides a cooling effect to the body.
Bhumi Amla is considered the most useful herb in reducing the risk of kidney stones because of its stone breaker property. This herb also excretes magnesium and potassium through urine and reduces oxalate in those patients who are suffering from hyperoxaluria. Because of its antibacterial property, it also reduces the risk of urinary tract infections.
Buy Bhumiamla Ayurvedic Capsules | Herbal Supplement
Life Aveda BhumiAmla capsule is a pure extract of Phyllanthus niruri herb. It stimulates the digestive fire (Agni), helps to digest the food, acts as an appetizer, increases the bile secretion, and restores the functions of liver cells.
It maintains the balance between Vata and Pitta dosha also. Life Aveda BhumiAmla prevents stomach ulcers by reducing gastric acid production and protecting the stomach lining from being damaged.
Bhumi Amla’s pitta balance property makes it beneficial in the condition of acidity and indigestion. This formulation will also reduce the risk of kidney stone formation due to its diuretic property.
Key Ingredients: Bhumi amla Extract: – 500mg Directions for Use Take 1-2 capsules, twice a day with plain water after meals or as directed by the physician
Side effects of Bhumi Amla
There are no known side effects are seen after using bhumi Amla. But its overdose may increase vata dosha because of its coolant property. It also has laxative properties so use it in proper dosage or consult your doctor before using it as it can cause diarrhea, dysentery, etc.
10 to 20 ml (leaf juice)
3 to 6 grams (powder)
Some FAQs related to Bhumiamla
Ques: Is Bhumi Amla good for kidney stones?
Yes, Bhumi Amla is good for kidney stones because of its stone-breaking property and is also known as a stone breaker.
Ques: What are the benefits of Bhumi amla for hair?
Bhumi Amla prevents damage to hair follicles and regrows the new hair naturally. It also balances hormonal levels in the body.
Ques: What are the benefits of bhumi Amla powder?
Bhumi Amla powder works as an antiviral and hepatoprotective that keeps the liver healthy. It also promotes digestion by increasing appetite.
From this article, it is concluded that Bhumi Amla can be used in treating several disorders like asthma, hiccups, urinary tract issues, cold, cough, excessive thirst, bleeding disorders, etc. But its overdose may increase vata dosha in the body because of coolant properties. So people who are suffering from diarrhea or dysentery should use it with care because of its laxative action.
Note: Our purpose is to serve useful information related to Kala Bhumiamla‘s benefits, dosage, and other properties. It is advised to the patients not to consume it on the basis of this information. Before taking this as a medicine it is better to have an expert opinion because dosage and treatment vary from patient to patient depending on their symptoms and medical history.
Doctor Consultation Online: Get Personalized Consultation
At Life Aveda, we provide personalized online doctor consultations. In this, a doctor discusses the medical history of patients, does the root analysis on causes. After the deep analysis doctor suggests the necessary medication to the patient. To book a Consultation call on us at +91 7743002520 or click on the button to schedule an appointment with our expert doctors.
We Care For Your Health
- 100% PRIVACY PROTECTION
- VERIFIED DOCTORS
- QUICK RESPONSE